What to do before suspected wrongful termination?

The company I am currently working for has been firing people in our department like crazy with little to no reason whatsoever. There are also rumors going around that they are experiencing financial problems and I've heard it spoken a few times around the office.

We all suspect that they are trying to avoid laying off in order to get out of paying unemployment benefits. I've also heard rumors that our manager has been hunting for things to document and use against us should they need to let someone go again.

I would normally just find another job except the timing is horrible b/c I am planning on moving out of state in a couple months so I just need this job to last until then.

Is there anything I can do to protect myself from being wrongfully terminated until then or giving them ammo to use against me if it were to happen that would prevent me from collecting unemployment benefits? Any suggestions would be helpful here!

The company doesn't need a reason to let you go. It is seldom that wrongful termination can be proven. Usually only if you are able to prove you were fired because of your race.

If they don't give a reason to you which is related to your performance you will be able to get unemployment. Even if their reason sucks unemployment may be denied. You will have a hearing about unemployment

Unfortunately, if you are living in an employment at will state, an employer doesn't need any reason to fire you as long as he or she wants just as long as the termination is not based on any forms of discrimination and retaliation. Nevertheless, if you suspects that you have been terminated for wrong reason, you may check back your contract of employment or agreement with the help of employment law attorneys to determine your legal rights regarding the matter.

You are eligible for unemployment when you are let go through no fault of your own.

If you are let go for a minor performance issue and were not given a chance for improvement you would generally be eligible for unemployment insurance.

Try to get interviews for other jobs