A  asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 7 years ago

How can one's culture lead to conflict in identity formation for emerging adults?

Favorite Answer

That's easy. All cultures that restrict a woman's right to choose what she wants to do with her life, narrow her opportunities to the point that she is forced to become a submissive wraith.I believe the term hero is used far too often and far too casually, but Malala Yousufzai has inspired the world with her courage in refusing to allow the Taliban to dictate what she should be. In such countries a woman has no identity. She is defined by the bigoted, sadistic, ignorant, atrocities who call themselves men and, although in denial, live in fear of what women may become if they are granted freedom of expression. Not only do they infuriate me to the point that I would kill them with as much compassion as I would feel in killing a cockroach, they make me ashamed of my sex!

American Indian parents protect their children from learning of the atrocious way they were treated by Christian colonists and hostile White people in general and the United states government in particular. We would rather have them believe in Hiawatha and Pocahontas than learn of the brutal mutilations committed on their ancestors during and after mass murder attacks in which their privates were severed and shipped back east to be sold on a thriving market in such body parts or kept as souvenirs to be displayed as war trophies. Knowing of these things would lay a dark burden of trauma on them in which their deepest racial insecurities could become a part of their identity.

One idea: a young adult growing up in a society in which sexual instincts are viewed as evil and bad and to be suppressed. The adult that results is going to have some difficulty expresing their sexuality, I think.

If you are of one culture being raised in a culturally different environment, you might have difficulty indentifying with your own culture because you are used to the culture of your environment.