1999 Pontiac Grand Am wnt start?

My mom gave me a Pontiac Grand Am SE V6 and its been sitting for 3 years and when it was parked it was running fine and it will turn over but not start and my mom said a fuel pump was put in right before it was parked and the engine is sound whatever that means ....but I just wish I could figure out why it won't freaking start its so irritating..

• m6502
    Favorite Answer

Lots of things can go wrong when a car sits for too long. A fuel issue is most likely. Try putting some fresh fuel or starting fluid into the intake and see if it fires then. If it does, you know it's a fuel problem. I agree it's likely sticking injectors, they are known to stick closed after sitting long enough.

The gas can be assumed bad, but I think if it was only bad gas you'd at least get some sort of kick out of it when you try to start it.

The junk in the fuel tank could have clogged up the pump or filter, even if it was good when you started.

With a car that's been sitting for 3 years, you can't take anything for granted, so the fuel pressure should be tested.

It also makes me wonder if there's a reason it got parked in the first place. Whatever was wrong with it then, isn't going to be any better now.

Obviously its old so theres a few possibilities if its trying to turn over that rules out battery but you may have a clogged fuel line or your fuel pump may not be primed and if the pump was replaced right before it was put up then it could very possibly be just empty but i would check all fuel lines all the way up to the fuel injectors and then i would also check the spark plugs and spark plug wires.

If it sat for 3 years, chances are the injectors can stick close. May want to get some clean fresh fuel & dump into the fuel tank. Can be the fuel pump that was installed especially if it were a cheapo aftermarket one

• hatti

Sorry, choose greater documents. once you turn the foremost, do you hear a click below the hood (i.e. is the solenoid tripping). The starter desires an incredible form of skill to run so once you turn your key, it sends a sign at a reasonably low amperage to the solenoid. The solenoid then acts as a "vast swap" to skill the starter. If no click, no swap being thrown and the starter won't turn. After sitting a protracted time, the solenoid could be stick. in case you hear the solenoid click, then dismiss the above, i replaced into off base.