Where should I tie my weight for fishing?

Top or at the end and why. thanks in advance

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Several ways, depending on what you're fishing for.

Inline -- you put a pinch-on sinker a couple feet up from the end, with the hook on the end.

Sliding sinker -- slide the sinker on the line, use a pinch-on or a swivel to keep it a couple feet up from the hook (tie the main line to one end of the swivel, the leader to the other end.)

Dropper loop -- tie a dropper loop a few inches across a couple feet up from the end, hang the hook in the loop and tie the sinker to the end (or vice versa, which is called a reverse dropper loop).

No weight -- just tie the hook on the end of the line. You cast with the weight of the bait, let it swim or sink slowly. You also fish most artificial lures with no weight.

In general, weight at the bottom (the dropper loop rigs) are for still fishing on the bottom, the others are when you're moving the rig or fishing midwater (with small weights), though some people like a sliding sinker rig for still-fishing on the bottom.

Source(s): Whatever you decide to use, make sure you tie a good strong knot. Here's a site with most of the common fishing knots: The Palomar and the Dropper Loop are two you should know. http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php
  • 7 years ago

Depends on your technique.

A drop shot would have the weight tied to the end, with the hook tied somewhere above it.

A slip sinker rig would use an egg or bullet shaped sinker with the line threaded through it, tied to a barrel swivel, with the hook tied behind that.

You can do it either way, but I prefer the second method.

• 7 years ago

If your fishing with bait the bottoms best!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.