How is safety in Greenwich Village, NYC?

I will be attending college at NYU this fall and I currently live in a quiet town in New Jersey. I have been to the city a few times, but always during the day doing stuff like school trips, going to museums with friends, tourist stuff, etc. I haven't been there for nightlife or an extended period of time. Because I am so used to my current quaint town, I am worried about safety in the city. After-all, I only have the tourist point-of-view.

How is safety around Greenwich village? Are there parts I should avoid? Times I shouldn't go out? Any other tips about different parts of the city?

Favorite Answer

Greenwich Village is fine. There's some housing projects going up 9th Avenue north of 16th Street, but even those are fine. Just use common sense as you would in any urban setting.

I can never recall the area around Greenwich Village being unsafe, where do you come up with junk like that? Its one of the nicest sections in NY City.

• taydus

Staten Island except Stapleton, Jersey avenue and Mariners Harbor ny: Turtle Bay, higher East aspect Bronx: Riverdale Brooklyn: Brooklyn Heights, parts of Midwood, Queens: Douglaston, college factor, Yellowstone, components of Flushing, Bayside

I can't think of a time when the " Village wasn't safe ...and I'm 60 years old