How can I get a police department to hire me and send me to the police Academy?

I have been trying to get a job as a police officer but most departments want me to have completed a police academy. I don't have the money to join a police academy and wanted them to pay my training in the police academy. I am close to finishing my Associates in Criminal Justice and am thinking of getting my Bachelors in Accounting.

I want to get a Bachelor's i Accounting as a back up in case my law enforcement career doesn't work out. There is the LAPD which I know would take me in but I don't want to be a part of the LAPD.

Favorite Answer

Positions for police officers are a competitive process. You apply for the job and go through the testing process. The people who get the highest scores are the ones who get the jobs. Hundreds of people test each cycle for1-3 positions open. You cannot make a department hire you. If you are a successful candidate, you will be hired and sent to the academy. Otherwise, you pay for the academy, then apply. You still have to go through the hiring process, but will have a big edge.

Source(s): Former deputy sheriff/corporal

Why are you getting a bachelor's in accounting if you want to be a police officer? You don't have the money to go to the academy, but guess what: neither does the police department. The only way to get them to sponsor you is if they have their own police academy.

Source(s): Tried to pursue law enforcement, but gave up
  • 0110

Move to another state that does not allow self sponsor to the academy. They have to hire you first and send you to an academy.

Or

really impress some small town chief so they will sponsor you.

Or apply to any of 10 or so larger city police departments in Ca that also hire first. Easy to find, they have their name on the academy.