what ways can i become a resident of school district without owning or renting?

I have a odd situation. Our house sold and closed way sooner then expected. Now we are moving to a new area with 3 weeks of school left. How can we become residents without a house or apartment. The school said we can do a short term lease but it is 3 months only. We only need to be there for the last 3 weeks. We can stay in a hotel and get a letter but they are 120.00 per night. I tried calling to get a discount but only got 10.00 off per night. Any ideas ?

3 Answers

  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Your situation is indeed "odd." You need only three weeks to finish the term, so the school should be willing to work with you. In fact, as others have suggested, there is really no reason why the school would even be interested in your residence situation unless someone brought it to their attention. If there is a guidance counselor, that person should be consulted for suggestions on how to address the problem. Others have recommended talking to school officials, and that, too, is a good choice. Because there are hotels within the district, you might investigate a "long term" apartment/motel. These establishments usually rent by the week or month, and they are much cheaper than $120 a night. If there are any trailer parks within the district, you might find a short term rental there which would be cheaper as well.

  • 7 years ago

    Wow, it's hard to believe that the school would make anyone transfer out with only three weeks left. Go to the principal or top administrator and ask for a waiver or something just to allow the completion of the year. Or can you somehow properly claim to live with friends/neighbors in the district for those weeks. Hope it works out!

  • 7 years ago

    Borrow a friend's address and say you're living there.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.