"Embarrassment to my family"?

So, I've written a few critiques of religion in the editorial section of my local paper. My family read them, and were appalled, apparently, despite my arguments being civil. I did not "bash" God. I simply stated an opposing view. They made it clear to me that I "hurt" them by writing these and asked me to stop. Should I stop writing, just because they become offended? Should I censor myself so I don't quote "embarrass the family name"? Am I selfish for expressing my own atheistic beliefs?

I feel it is quality that you are nursing this lengthy. My daughter, who shall be two in just over a month, self-weaned in early July. (I feel it used to be a combo of her growing old, and my being pregnant changing the milk and even with us being on a commute and our time table altering some.) I do not have any humorous reports, though. As she acquired older, we jsut naturally stopped nursing in public, due to the fact she would go longer between once we were out. She did, a few instances, attempt to reach her hand down my shirt for Mommy Milk although. As for touching things in retailers, I simply lightly (or you should be calm, depending on how normally she's done it) ask her to no longer touch and those usually are not for her to contact. (I pray, that via the grace of God, that i can't simplest be ready to breastfeed this one as good as what I did with my daughter [once the initial breaking in period occurred the first month we went well] for a minimum of a 12 months and a half of, and/or until i'm pregnant once more, as we wish the subsequent two to be nearer collectively.)

That's what they get for not persuading you to believe. By that, I don't mean putting you in Sunday school while they're in church or sleeping in; I mean investing their own time and effort in your religious training, and actually being persuasive.

Late is better than never, so it's time for them to either persuade you now - even if that means writing Op Ed rebuttals to your editorials - or admit that their beliefs are indefensible.

If you like, send me links to your editorials, and I'll consider whether their beliefs are worth my while to defend.

• p

Sometimes its wiser to sit back and not get everyone upset.You have obviously made Your point loud and clear.You decide which is more important .Family and Harmony or Your Beliefs?You don,s seem that old so it may be wiser to hold off until the bigger problems have moved on and then resume.Theres allways tomorrow.

You should talk with them. Communication is paramount, even if you have disagreements.

Make them know that you don't do it to hurt them, and reassure them that you respect their beliefs just as much.

But you should never have your mouth forcibly shut by someone just because they don't agree with you.

Above all, as Narathzul said, be honest. You are not to blame if you uphold the truth.

• Nous

Sadly you have discovered that when parents and family put religion before love that love quickly turns to hatred!

Can they not see that their intolerance shows a weakness of faith and that they are breaching your constitutional rights?

Why not write another article explaining what they are doing to you and why you thin that is?!

• mark h

If you are doing it solely to express your own beliefs, well, that sounds selfish to me.

If you are doing it because you are passionate about teaching people about your position, then that means you have to make sacrifices. Passion means long suffering...passion does not mean the your life becomes a bed of roses.

The question really is, is writing what you want more important than your relationships.

I faced a similar situation when I became a Christian, many people who claimed to be my friends, and even members of my family, no longer wanted to have anything to do with me, because of vocal stance as a Christian.

For me Christ was worth the sacrifice of those relationships.

Is your passion, worth those relationships that you feel are estranged?

That answer will tell you what to do.

Hope that helps.

Remember the time your best friends came over and your dad was wearing his PJs... and how embarrest you were? save ure family embarrasment...

write using a Pseudonym or annoymouslly

When honest opinions hurt the fault is not in you. From what you say you made reasonable efforts to be civil yet they were offended regardless. Hence it's not your fault.

No, you're not selfish for being logical. Did you bash their beliefs? No. So, why not keep writing?

You should respect their RIGHT to believe, but you don't have to show any special reverence or respect for the belief itself. Funny beliefs deserve ridicule.