Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicSinging · 7 years ago

Please help with a singing question?

My vocal range is e2-e4 but the other day I managed to make a strained hoarse and airy attempt at an E5 (not head voice, but maybe falsetto, I have no clue). It was like a croak, but I got there. I am untrained, so if I get vocal lessons is it possible to get there? Or will it always be EXTREMELY hard to get to e5?

Another question is about vocal ranges. When you get to the end of your vocal range, do you just slowly get weaker and more airy sounding until you can't sing, or does your voice just stop? Because if it just stops being able to go farther, then I might be able to hit the e5. If it gradually weakens, then it was probably in the "out of range" catagory and unattainable

Favorite Answer

That you were able to sing E5 with a strained voice suggests that that note is a hit-of-miss note and not truly part of your natural vocal range. That is, you may be able to sing E5 while warming up your voice by singing scales and arpeggios, but you are unable to re-produce the E5 on demand. However, it is possible that taking voice lessons will teach you to reach the E5 with greater ease and less vocal strain. (Your vocal range from E2 to E4 suggests that you are a bass.)

When you get to the end of your vocal range, do you just slowly get weaker and more airy sounding until you can't sing, or does your voice just stop?

Answer: When I attempt a note that is outside of my vocal range, my singing voice either sounds very strangulated or my voice comes to a complete stop.

Here are some tips about finding a voice teacher:

The teacher has an excellent ear, and carefully listens to, and gives you accurate feedback about your voice.

Has an understanding of vocal anatomy, including the respiratory muscles, the larynx and throat structures, and how they affect singing.

Allows you to tape record lessons or exercises in the lesson for take-home practice. Provides you with written exercises when needed.

Is professional in conduct yet personable. You should feel comfortable with this person. You should feel free to ask questions.

While being emotionally supportive, he or she should be able to challenge you to grow as a singer at the same time.

The teacher should be able to explain to you in depth why you are doing each exercise that he or she gives you.

If available go to a recital where this teacher's students are performing. If they mostly sound great then this is probably a very good indication of a competent voice teacher.

Avoid teachers who only take on students who are already professional vocalists. A good teacher can train any voice and would enjoy the challenge of doing so.

The teacher shows genuine interest in you as a singer.

The teacher understands vocal health issues including the need to drink water and monitor the speaking voice

Addresses the need to relax those tensions/muscles that can block good vocal production and vocal freedom.

Is emotionally stable and does not intimidate or talk down to you.

Your voice feels easier and more resonant when working together

Source(s): Master's degree in voice