Warranxx asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

GSD ears don't stand up !!!?

My GSD pup is now 5 months and 9 days old and his ears are not standing !!! what shoudl I do . I'm really worried !!!!

• Jojo
    Favorite Answer

They could still go up, but if they are not erect soon after he is 6 months old then the chances are they never will.

Sometimes just one ear stands up.

Now and then a gsd pup from even a well bred litter will have soft ears which never stand up.

Unless you are wanting to show the dog it is not something to get steamed up about as it does not alter the dogs character.

It is disappointing I know, as the one thing that makes a gsd look good is his erect ears but if you are really fond of your dog it`s not the end of the world is it?

My oldest Gsd had a hematoma on one of his ears some time ago which left him with a cauliflower ear.

I love him just the same and it adds to his uniqueness.

By the way, years ago I had gsd who had floppy ears and he was a wonderful dog.

Source(s): Gsd owner for 48 years.

If his ears stood up when he is younger then it may have dropped due to teething, in this case you shouldn't worry about it . But if it never stood, you may wait until 6 months and if still not up you should consult a vet on supplements or other methods to strengthen it. However, ears are not that important what is important is to love your dog as he is :)

• IRA

Rub the middle of the ear that isn't standing up, you have to rub them alot this stimulates the nerve inside them.

Source(s): DOG OWNER FOR OVER 50 YEARS

it's possible that the cartilage isn't strong enough yet.

And the truth is, it could ostensibly cause hearing problems.

I know a person who had a similar case, and their vet told them to help them stand up when you have time to help the cartilage strengthen. It's good you caught it in puppyhood.

Good luck.

Give it time. They'll stand eventually.

just give them time

Why are you "really worried" about this??

The dog will not die from this.