How to forgive when you have been lied to?

The guy I'm dating lied to me. He invited his ex to his graduation and not me because he said she has helped him a lot through the semester and helped him financially. He kept that a secret from me also. The seats were limited at the graduation. How can I forgive him?

Favorite Answer

wow....i suggest you invite an ex to the movies or something and repeat his words back to him "HE HELPED ME A LOT THROUGH SOME THINGS...and then at least you'll see if you are on the same page with this relationship thing....goodluck!!

Source(s): www.tidow.co.nr

Just because you're dating doesn't mean he has to tell you everything. Perhaps he was embarrassed that he needed financial help from his then girlfriend. It has no bearing on your relationship so it shouldn't matter. If he got the money from his dad you wouldn't have an issue with it but it was from an ex so now you feel betrayed. Also, how is inviting his ex to his graduation a lie? Did he tell you he invited someone else but he actually invited his ex? If so, dump him. Spending time with an ex & lying to your girlfriend about it is no good & usually leads to no good. You mentioned graduating, college i presume so you're most likely in your early twenties. You have lost of life ahead of you. There's no reason to fret over someone who lies. Find a new guy, or girl & have fun. If he didn't lie & is just taking his ex & you don't like it. Get over it or leave him. Life is too short to waste time on people who don't respect you.

There is a difference between forgiving and reconciling. Forgiveness is when you understand and accept that this person is a liar and cheater and you never forget the warning signs. You let go of your anger and move on with your life with out that person in it. I forgave my ex husband for being abusive and cheating on me. I understand WHY he did it and why he is the way he is. I'll never forget, so I don't make the same mistake again.

Reconciling is when you forgive but still remain in contact. This is risky cause I always believe that past behavior predicts future behavior. A person will only change unless he/she really wants to. When people reconcile with a cheater, things are great for a month or two, but the cheater always goes back to his/her regular behavior.

I never reconciled with a cheater because I know what will happen. I just get them out of my life.

a MAJOR thing in a relationship is "honesty" and if he does not know what that is, I'm not sure if he's worth forgiveness. Because if he can lie about that...who knows what else he can lie about. He should have told you before, that's when you might have understood. And when it comes to forgiveness now, and if it's the first time, In my opinion i think that you can give him another chance but Also letting him know that it shouldn't happen again!

Source(s): Dated!