Should the government of Canada pay for College or University?

If the person will sign up for 1-2 years for a job in some branch of the government (Military, Social Services etc.) depending on the costs. They may only go to a recognized College or University located in Canada. What do you think of the idea? I may write a letter to my local MP, though I doubt he will take my idea to the House of Commons since I am only seventeen. Thank you for answering.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • bw022
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

First, education is a provincial government responsibility. The provinces own and run most of the universities and colleges in Canada. You'd do better to write the letter to your local MLA.

Second, the provinces already directly pay about 75% of the costs of colleges and universities tuitions in Canada. If you look up fees for most universities you are talking around $6,000 for eight months of study vs. around $20,000 for most international students. That represents nearly $80,000 in direct subsidies for a typical undergraduate program. It is even higher for programs such as nursing, engineering, double majors, or any type of masters or PhD program.

Third, all provinces offer various scholarships and bursaries. Various federal government programs also offer scholarships. There are also private scholarships.

Forth, all tuition is fully tax deductible. Educational savings plans are not taxed and students can deduct certain living costs. Scholarships are tax exempt. You can even roll certain deductions forward.

Fifth, both the provinces and federal governments offer student loan programs.

Sixth, federal EI programs and provincial income assistance often continue if you take certain government retraining programs or enroll in post secondary education. If you lose your job, you can still collect benefits even if you aren't looking for work provided you attend certain schools.

Seven, many government agencies provide free training. The military *does* provide free universities educations. All officers go to military college and gain a degree. Police, firefighters, health care workers, doctors, nurses, etc. all typically have mandated continuing education and complete courses at various community colleges and training facilities open to the public. Driving schools, pre-law courses, first aid, food safety, etc., etc.

Eight, Canada has the highest rate of post secondary education in the world. It has one of the lowest student debt ratios in the world. Your average student can cover tuition via a part-time job while attending school. Worst case... you take out student loans to cover living costs for a four years.

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

it extremely is diverse in each and each province. In Ontario there is OSAP(Ontario student suggestions application). this may well be a central authority backed own loan issued to scholars via a Canadian banking business enterprise. the student additionally gets a mastercard as a portal to installation credit. the assumption is, if the student responsibly will pay off the non-public loan and could pay the soundness of the mastercard(subsequently development credit), they could have an practise to boot extraordinarily much as good credit.

• 8 years ago

There is already a horde of people, educated on their own dime, lined up around the block looking for cushy government jobs. No taxpayer-funded incentive is required.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.