What are pros of deep sea fishing in a private charter (6-12 people) vs a party boat?

Is it worth the extra money? Do you catch more fish, or at least bigger fish? Also, does anyone have Atlantic vs Gulf coast experience from Alabama up to NC? I'd love to hear about it if you have. I'm in GA, so any coast in the SE is fair game for me.

I've done a couple party boat trips before and had one great time (6-8 fish, all snapper) and one mediocre time (3-4 fish, all snapper). Problem has been that its been all bottom fishing, and the biggest fish I've caught was maybe 10 lbs. Had a couple huge bites but line broke each time after 15-20 seconds of fighting, which suggests that I was using junky gear on the party boats. Really looking for something better this year, but I want to know if its worth it. The more details you can give the better!

Thanks in advance

Favorite Answer

If you have the money, a private charter will always be more successful/enjoyable than a party boat. A party boat packs as many people as possible on board, runs out to a spot, and has you bottom fish. They are fairly successful. However, charters can run around to find fish easier, it is not as crowded, and you have more leniency on what you want to fish for. Because it does not have all the hindrances of a party boat, it is also generally more successful.

A party fishing boat is the best value compared to a private charter but the party boat experience differs from place to place. A private charter gives you a more personal experience but also the time of year is relevant as well, some headboats are available for charter during non peak season for not much more than the cost of a private charter. The boat I recommend http://captainraymonds.com is available for an off season charter rate of $600 for a half day compared to $500 of a private charter. The open boat price is $36 per person. The gear is always very well kept and on a charter they'll do whatever type of fishing you want. Hope this helps

well some charters are cheaper and they will teach you how to fish properly at the same time.

• chris

about 40 other anglers