No Scrubs asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

Question about the American Bully?

Hi I just recently posted a question on here about "Pit Bulls." I got some amazing responses and I'd like to thank you all. I did some research and found that there are 3 different breeds (I all thought they were the same) American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pit Bull, and the American Bully. I've become intrigued with the American Bully. Seeing that it is such a new breed I would like to know if and American Bully is a good dog to have. I know that's a very vague question because every dog can be a good dog but I only ask that because I've read terrible things about them. Like how they are disproportionate and are inbred. I just need some opinions. Thank you ahead of time.

Favorite Answer

The American Bully is NOT a new breed.

it is a mutt. No reputable kennel club recognizes them and they do not have a set standard (that's why they vary so much between normal and extreme)

They are potentially very unhealthy dogs. Just look at the body structure. Wide shoulders, bow legs, low-slung chest. This puts weight on all the wrong places of the front legs and will lead to joint issues.

that wide head also makes them very front heavy. Some AmBullies can't even mate naturally because they are so front heavy.

Essentially it goes like this: The American Bully is to the American Pit Bull Terrier what the modern English Bulldog is to the Original English Bulldog.

The English Bulldog (or just Bulldog) was a strong athletic dog, not unlike the American Bulldog or the 'Olde English Bulldogge" (which is an attempt to re-create the classic Bulldog). Extensive selective breeding and chances in standard have turned the English Bulldog into an incredibly unhealthy dog breed.

When you look at the source of the AmBully, you see the same thing. the APBT and American Staffordshire Terrier are both athletic dog breeds. But the AmBully is not. Its bred for looks and serves no purpose.

Sure, they might be big sweet marshmallows, but they are not bred for health.

If you want an AmBully, check some shelters. They will list them as Pit Bulls, but its pretty obvious when one is actually an AmBully. Don't support some breeder making them, save one from a shelter.

• moodey

American Bully Classic

Classic American Bully

• Ari

American Bully is a mutt, am bully is a mutt, am bully is a mixed breed. Will you all quit saying that??? So is every other dog breed you know! Lab, Boston Terrier, Chihuahua, EVERY dog is a mixed breed. That is why we have so many different breeds.

Why do you all talk about Am Bullies like they are some terrible out cast dog that should never be around?

I think this is one of the best newer breeds out there. APBT's and the other Pit type dogs are fantastic dogs. I should know, I own and have owned them. APBT, AmStaff, Am Bullies. I love them all, but there is something extra special about the bullies. They are EXTRA sweet and EXTRA laid back. And beautiful!

Yes, I have seen the "Extreme's" with the freakishly wide shoulders and extra low to the ground. I do not care for that variety and I do believe that comes from bad breeding, but for the people out there that know what they are doing, these are beautiful dogs. I have attached pictures of my 2 Bullies

• Let me correct you first. American Bullies are not one of the breeds and in fact are not a breed. They are mutts. The other breed of Pit Bull is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. American Bullies are ridiculously inbred and being so squatty they are prone to all sorts of health problems from breathing problems to joint problems. If you are going to go with a Pit Bull go with one of the 2 breeds you already talked about and Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Stay away from the American Bully.

American Bullys can be fantastic pets! As with any of these types of dogs, you have to be careful, though, as some are genetically predisposed to being dog aggression, and some become human aggressive. (This includes APBTs, ASTs, and Staffordshire Bull Terriers). They are not a new breed. They were created by crossing APBTs and ASTs. Some BYBs will mix in whatever to get a certain look, so be careful if purchasing from a kennel.

If you are planning to purchase a pup, do plenty of research and find a GOOD breeder. Be sure to meet the parents, to see how their temperament is, and go to the kennel and see how the breeder keeps the dogs. You want to be sure they perform health testings on their dogs before breeding. Look at their body structures, you don't want one with bow legs, or what I call easty-westy feet....among other structural problems that these dogs can present.

There are different classes for the American Bully. Classic, Standard, Pocket, XL, and Extreme, so research those and determine which you like the best. I have two Classics and they are just wonderful! They are very bright, and loyal. Mine have not shown any signs of aggression, but one always should keep the mentality that a bulldog will fight.

Different classes require different amounts of exercise, the classics and standard requiring the most, but it's nothing too extreme.

Personally, I prefer the classics and standards, and really do not like the look of the other classes.

If you prefer to rescue/adopt, that's a great choice! Shelters are full of wonderful Am Bullys and mixes!

Check out these two forums, they are full of great info on all of the bull type breeds!

http://www.gopitbull.com/

http://www.pitbull-chat.com/forums.php

ADD: You won't get much love for them here. Come to the forums. :)

Source(s): These are my dogs, the first is actually an APBT/Am Bully mix. http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/p3achymizz... http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/p3achymizz... As you can see, not all Am Bullys look like hippos. :)

The " American Bully" is not a *new breed* - it is a mutt, that is all it is.

It is a mix of APBT, American Staffordshire Terrier and Bulldog.

It is not *new*, its a mutt that is being bred with other mutts of its kind by BYBs who *think* they are creating a new breed when in actual fact they are creating nothing more than the next dog to take up a shelter kennel.

• Ama

The American bully is not a 'pit bull' it is a mutt, it's not a breed either. "American bully" is just a name used by BYB to sell these unstable and genetic messes.

American bullies can be great dogs. Of course there are byb in every breed and if you do your homework and get it through a decent breeder your good. I don't care for the super short unhealthy English bulldog looking bullies either but standard or classic range and up can be great healthy strong dogs. I love the classic game bred pitbulls too. I actually grew up with them and have had many. I have an American Bullie puppy as we speak. The main difference personality wise is that apbt are very driven high energy working dogs. Bullies are more laid back and can even do well in an apartment if walked regularly. Staffies and apbt are the core breeds in bullies and Staffordshire terriers were more for show than work. So if you want a high energy dog and are a athletic person the American Pitbull Terrier is your dog. If you want a buddy to kick back with and chill the American Bullie is Ur guy. On a side note my Bullie puppy was house broken after only two weeks and is super smart n healthy.

they are a mixed breed usually between either one of the 3 and is not a pure... though i have seen some pretty dogs born but that is left up to opinion on others.

though they must be healthy above all else.