George asked in SportsBaseball · 7 years ago

How fast was the ball that hit ja happ?

The pitch was 91 mph but how fast do you the hit was? 100 mph?

Favorite Answer

There are no radar guns as far as i know to test how fast it came at him, but like you said, probably at least 100, since the pitch was 90, and it had momentum from the bat. It was obviusly enough to hurt him bafley, and doctors may be able to calculate it from the extent of his injurys. My guess though is about 120-140, if you calculate the pitch speed divided by the distance bat to the pitcher, and then multiply that number by the original speed (which i did calculate). (Pitch speed- 91; distance from home plate to mound-60ft; pitch speed divided by bat to mound length- 1.51). This means you would divide 91 for the pitch speed by 60 from the batter to the pitcher, to find momentum, so that is 1.51, then multiply 91 by 1.51 (pitch speed by momentum) to get 135.9 miles per hour. This seems a little high, so its in the 120-140 range, but 135.9 is my calculated speed.

My guess would be way over 100 like closer to 120/130 range

I'd say 200 mph, it was so fast J.A. Happ had no time to react.

really fast.