Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 7 years ago

Converting a track/fixie into a road bike?

I have an old 10 speed road bike converted to a fixie currently but wanted to get a track frame for it. But now im thinking of buying a seperate road bike online its a gmc for like 200$. But im thinking if it will be cheaper to get the track frame and buying road bike components or just buy the complete one and replace some parts. Or should i just add the road components to my current frame its an old french frame but the one online looks more modern. I just want to know if its possible and what problems i might run into and your opinion?

Favorite Answer

A GMC Denali? Why waste your $$$? POS Bicycle Shaped Object.

My opinion? If you need a GOOD road bike, do one of two things. 1) See your authorized, independent, knowledgeable, friendly, local bicycle shop. Bring about $700 for an entry level road bike. 2) IF and only IF you can assemble & tune-up a bike - Bikes Direct.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

The good ones will still start in the $400 to $450 range. Look for double wall rims, an 8 speed cassette or better & Shimano STI shifters or equivalent.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/libert...

I gave a thumbs up to all 3 responses so far. A GMC Denali? Really? Biggest piece of junk I've ever seen. Did you know in order to incorporate those cheap @ss twist-grip shifters, the handlebar comes in three pieces per side? If one ever breaks, you'll need a new handlebar & all new shifters. A better handlebar with STI shifters will run more than the price of the bike.

A good bike from the start cost less than constantly repairing & upgrading a cheap one. Bikes Direct offers a few low cost good ones. I'm kinda partial to this one.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/avenue... But they are out of the M/L or 53.5 cm frame size. If you take a size other than that, it would be a much better choice than a GMC Denali.

• BigE

Adding new components to a old French frame is impossible.

Its 10 speed, the dropouts are narrower.

tis French, lots of components are not available.

Upgrading a bike is much more expensive than a whole bike.

GMCs are crap bikes, you'll change EVERYTHING. I think they even welded the

shifter on!

Now not rather although some fixies are changed from geared bikes surely they could go back a real monitor bike though has plenty of matters special with a purpose to not convert geometry, back dropouts, body spacing - essential things wle

• John M

Two things you never want to do, build a bike from parts or buy a GMC bike.

Go to Bikes Direct and get a good bike. Better yet go to the local bike shop.

no

none of that makes any sense

i can hardly even read it

makes my head hurt

wle