Tyler asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 7 years ago

Why did Tom hanks apologize to Wilson in cast away?

I'm trying to figure out why this scene makes me cry over a goddamned volleyball and why he says sorry to it.. He cries as if he lost a loved one, maybe it was his only social connection for four years or mayb he's just sorry cause he couldn't save him? Could it be the music

or a combination of the two?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Ur right. That ball has been his only friend for many years and he had to let it go because he wanted to keep his raft. It was so sad. Great film

• Mary
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/KfgIB

I think Tom Hanks is an excellent actor. His films are quite inspiring. I think that what he felt as he sailed away from that island is, in a certain sense, sadness and relief all at the same time. It was his home for 4 years and it was what he had come to know and was such a big part of him. And now he was leaving it all behind to virtually the unknown of what was really going to happen to him, other than the hopes that he would be rescued. It was a sad realization for him that he had finally achieved what was almost impossible and would have to start a new chapter in his life. As for Wilson; what had started out to be just a volleyball until he added the face to it, was basically his conscience in a visual sense. He felt judged by him at first, which made him strive to do better at whatever he was trying to do. The psychological relationship that grew from it had become a part of him. Wilson had become a friend, the only one he had. It is what helped him survive the trials of living on a deserted island. When he lost Wilson for the first time he had immediate remorse for his actions because he realized he would be all alone and felt he had betrayed an actual friend. When he lost him the second time he felt such sadness due to the fact that Wilson had become such a big part of him all those years. Wilson had shared his successes and failures and although it was JUST a volleyball he mourned the loss as it was losing a part of himself and a true friend. That's my take on it anyway. I have the movie and I watch it from time to time.

• 3 years ago

Castaway Wilson Scene

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

RE:

Why did Tom hanks apologize to Wilson in cast away?

I'm trying to figure out why this scene makes me cry over a goddamned volleyball and why he says sorry to it.. He cries as if he lost a loved one, maybe it was his only social connection for four years or mayb he's just sorry cause he couldn't save him? Could it be the music

or a...

Source(s): tom hanks apologize wilson cast away: https://trimurl.im/j15/why-did-tom-hanks-apologize...
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Well the volleyball was all he had to represent human contact for four years, so he development a relationship with it (Sorta like a three year old and his toy trains). So when he lost that, he apologized for failing to keep track of it (I remember crying when I lost a toy dinosaur in a lake, many years back). The best thing you could do to understand this is imagine living alone on an island for that long, and finding something that looked like a human head lying about. You'd go insane without some replacement for human interaction.

• 7 years ago

Well, he DID lose a loved one! Wilson was his only companion for all those years on that island. If you lost your only companion, wouldn't YOU cry? And yes, part of it's the music...it's what music in a movie is MEANT to do, push a given or desired emotional reaction along

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

You cried because it was a sad scene. You're soft hearted and sweet I guess. He said sorry because he died, and he got mad at him. The reasons aren't clear but I'm sure it's one of those or both. Just all his emotions comin out over him. For the music, yes. Music had a huge impact on what we feel. It was made and put in to make people feel sad; to feel his sadness. That's why.

Source(s): Watched that movie a million times.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.