Derecho asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

What is the gun industry's position on 3d printing?

• Jun
    Favorite Answer

That's a good question because although I don't think they've come out with an official statement about 3D printing, it does have the potential to blur the lines surrounding firearms legality, civil liberties and government control. This argument can work both ways too; either tighter control on gun parts OR realize that with new technologies the illusion of control is moot. It's doubtful, however, that they see it as a threat to their industry, at least in the short term. I'm guessing they're brandishing a "wait and see" attitude.

• Jacara

They probably hate it since its money our of their pockets. However the NRA probably loves it, its their dream to have a gun in every household and in every bodies hands, from birth to death.

Edit: @Fan of Calvin Coolidge

Keep up with the News, it was just announced that a company has succeeded in doing just that, and they are going to make the Blueprints available to anyone.

Its not possible to "print" a working gun ... So Im sure they don't care.

I'm sure they are against it.