What Foreign Exchange Student programs pay their Host Families?

So I currently trying to convince my mother to host an exchange student, however, I haven't succeeded... yet.

I was wondering if the lovely community knows of any exchange student program that actually pays the host family. I was looking at a lot of sites that just give the host family a tax credit of $50, and no actual monetary compensation.

I'm looking for Exchange Student programs in Southern California that will pay their host families.

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

If you're looking for a high school exchange program that does that, I don't think you'll find one. If the program is approved by the US State Department, they CAN'T pay their host families. It is the philosophy of many that if families are paid, the relationship is more of a landlord-renter situation than a host FAMILY-student situation.

There are such programs (paid) at the post-secondary level, but, again, the relationship will be different. (http://yfuusa.org/community-college-program/inboun... is one such program, but it doesn't have any schools in CA)

I think it's great that you want to host a student, but perhaps it isn't the right thing for your family. I personally think that every family should give the idea fair consideration (after getting the facts), but it isn't right for everyone.

Source(s): I am an 8-time host mom and volunteer with YFU USA

Check out Educatius.org. They offer a $300 stipend to help with food costs for their public high school student exchange program. This is our second year and all the students we have met(about 20) were highly motivated academically from Europe or South America. They have opportunities all over the US- but you'll need to check if they're in your city. My city is not listed on their website, so contacting them would be best.

i recommend not doing it because we have enough of there kind already