promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

I just received a civil demand letter from Walmart after being caught shoplifting in April. It was 30dollars?

worth and they are asking for 200. The return address they want me to send the money to is a Wal-Mart stores, Inc. PO Box in S Louis, MO ......Should I pay it or what should I do please help! Im scared. .....o and im in the state of Texas if that helps

5 Answers

Relevance
  • michr
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

you pay the demand amount or you will be charged with shoplifting...

once convicted (and you will be), the judge will order you to pay restitution ($30.00) PLUS, court cost, a fine, a class on shoplifting will be required, and you will get community service... for a total of about $1000.00....

so either pay the demand of $200.00 and be done with this or go to court pay a $1000.00 and have a criminal record... your choice.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

let me get this straight. You only stole 30 dollars worth of merchandise, and Walmart is wanting you to pay 200 to them? This amount is a misdemeanor, that you will get community service on. Did they get the merchandise back from you? If so, i don't understand why they are asking you for money. All they had to do was call the cops and press charges. The rest is up to the Police to decide. If not, it will be to cover their losses and attorney fees to take you to court. Either way, theft for that small amount is a misdemeanor. Wait and see if they actually send you a letter from the county. This may very well be a letter that they paid an attorney to write, and the 200 is for the attorney fees. It costs 100 dollars to have an attorney write a letter. If your case has not been settled by the law, then do not pay it, until charges have been filed. You do not have to pay them. The only thing they can do is sue you after this, and I highly doubt they will sue you for 30 worth of merchandise, considering how much they will pay in fees to take you to court. I hope you can make a decision after reading this. Its not wise to not pay, but sometimes they are not wise on their demands. There are many lawyers debating these demand letters. They are technically a scam. Paying the letter will not ensure they will not take you to court. Being charged, is filed by the Prosecutor of the County and is up to him to decide. The Prosecutor can still press charges if they chose to, regardless if Walmart decides to drop them or not.

Source(s): Texas Resident. Live in a county with an overly aggressive DA. http://www.mirrorofjustice.com/law-questions-answe... cWEtMjAxMzAzMDExMzQ2MjJBQTZWdFp5.html Read a similar question to yours that was resolved here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201007...
  • 3 years ago

i'd study the fabric thoroughly till now sending any money. I Googled "3-d civil call for letter", the 1st element that got here up became from avvo indicating that civil restoration companies robotically pass after shoplifting suspects to scare human beings into paying. the 1st element to look at is the letterhead. Did Walmart generate this or a contractor? became there an if-you-don-t-pay-then connection between your paying and later criminal prosecution? in the event that they are threatening criminal prosecution that is extortion. that is one way you are able to distinguish between a letter this corporation will shop on with up on, and one it won't shop on with up on. they are experts, and if the language of the letter undermines the flexibility of an rather civil case they gained't shop on with it up. that is simply by fact they are able to apply worry to get what they choose now, yet later they're going to could use the regulation. utilising the regulation is expensive for them, even however they are legal experts. determine to study the article on the Texas theft criminal duty Act, simply by fact there's a provision interior the Act that if Walmart *fails* to win their case, they are caught along with your criminal fees. If Walmart have been given back their stuff, they now could tutor that what you probably did harm them in different techniques. an exceptionally final element. whilst submitting an answer slightly notice regarded that i will placed up no better than 20 solutions according to day. something got here approximately that required Yahoo to set limits. Who would be in all threat to abuse a provider inclusive of this one? Shills working for outlets. i'd confer with a criminal professional if in any respect available.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

yes you give them that money or they will come after you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY BECAUSE TECHNICALLY IF YOU WEREN'T ARRESTED OR GIVEN A CITATION TO APPEAR IN COURT BY THE OFFICER{NOT LP} THEN YOU WOULD HAVE TO GO TO COURT.BUT THEY DIDN'T SO YOU ARE NOT A CRIMINAL,NO REASON TO COLLECT RESTITUTION,ITS A GOLDMINE OF A SCAM FOR COLLECTION AGENCIES,PEOPLE GET SCARED AND PAY.....DON'T BE A SUCKER.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.