How can I find a simple job in L.A. as a Canadian to get a work visa to be able to live there?

I'm 24 and I only have a h.s. diploma and I dropped out of fashion school in L.A. after 2 years and have only 3 years of experience in call centre jobs in Ontario. My dream is to be an actress so I would like to move to California.

The only way to stay there legally would be to find a job because obviously I have VERY FEW qualifications to be actually hired from Canada to be something other than a min. wage worker.

Does anyone know if I can fly to L.A. (I have a friend that will help w/ housing) stay there on a tourist visa to find an employer who will hopefully sponsor me for a simple manual labor or anything really so that I can get a work visa and then a work permit to be able to live there?

I'm starting to think that my best bet is just to stay in Brampton and go back to school. However I'm still somewhat young now so I should take advantage of my youth. Then again, I'm not getting any younger so if I spend all my time trying to achive my dream and by 30 I have to back to school for something stable [sighs] it's tricky, very tricky...

Advice please! From experience as well knwolegeable people on U.S. immigration laws and labor...etc THX!

4 Answers

  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    you don't appear to have any skills that would get you to the US

    unless you can find a US spouse ..your dream is a dream

    There are basically NINE ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

    (1) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.

    (2) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. scientific or medical training. A degree is normally a must. Or you have superior specialist skills with at least 12 years experience. (H visas)

    (3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (2) above.(L visas)

    (4) You may get a Green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland, are not generally eligible unless you, your spouse or parents were born abroad or held a different citizenship.

    (5)You own or buy business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card)You must be a national of a qualifying Treaty countries. The business must have a minimum value of around $150k (more the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $350k would be a nearer minimum (E-2 visas)

    (6)You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US $1m in assets to bring with you. half of that in a few areas. And your background will be investigated to the hilt. (EB-5 visas)

    (7)You have a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister and no further) who is an US citizen who would sponsor you, approx time this take 2-12 years?

    (8.The R1 visa is available to foreign members of religious denominations, having bona fide non-profit religious organizations in the U.S., for entering the U.S. to carry on the activities of a minister or religious worker as a profession, occupation or vocation

    (9)THE UNUSUAL You are in a position to claim refugee status/political asylum. or You get a member of Congress to sponsor a private bill with legislation that applies just to you.

    The S visa issued to persons who assist US law enforcement to investigate and prosecute crimes and terrorist activities such as money laundering and organized crime

    Recruitment agent will not take you seriously if you are not already in the US. Writing for jobs is really a waste of time; likewise US employers have no idea what foreign qualification are or mean (except Degrees) it may pay you to get your qualification translated into a US equivalent, there are Companies that do this ( ..

    But if you are getting a visa under (2) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. Your Employer will be your sponsor this will cost them upward of $5k. So you can see you have to be offering something really special to get considered They may also have to prove to the Dept of labor that there is no American who can do the job if the position is to be permanent ©


  • 4 years ago

    You have to have the job offer FIRST. Then you can get the visa. You are only going to qualify for the TN visa, which has to be renewed yearly, and can not lead to permanent residency. You will not be eligible for an H1B. The good news is that TN visas are simple and easy to get.

  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

    You can't ge a work visa without at the very least a bachelors degree. That is the minimum to even be allowed to apply. Realistically, you will not ge a work visa unless you have a PhD in engineering or science.

  • pk
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

    You're a drop out.

    No one will sponsor you because you're a bad investment.

    If you want to act, move to Vancouver.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.