Did shakespeare really invent the term YOLO?

My english professor was mentioning words in passing that shakespeare invented (such as upstairs, bedazzle, dishearten, etc.) but then he listed YOLO amongst them and I was surprised because I thought this was a relatively new word. I don't know a lot about shakespeare, but according to one of my friends who does, yolo is said by Brutus as he stabs Julius Caesar immediately after the famous "et tu Brutus" quote. It makes sense in that context (yolo is something you would say whilst stabbing an emperor) but I don't have a copy of the play to confirm this. Can someone list a few references to shakespeare using the term yolo in Julius Caesar and possibly some of his other works too? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

YOLO is an acronym for "you only live once". Similar to carpe diem or memento mori, it implies that one should enjoy life, even if that entails taking risks. The phrase and acronym are used in youth culture and music, and were popularized by the 2011 song "The Motto" by Canadian rapper Drake.

The phrase "you only live once" is commonly attributed to Mae West,[1][2] but variations of the phrase have been in use for over 100 years,[3] including as far back as (the German equivalent of) "one lives but once in the world" by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe in his 1774 play Clavigo[4] and as the title of a waltz, "Man lebt nur einmal!" ("You Only Live Once!") by Johann Strauss II in 1855.

Incidentally, a restaurant in Fort Lauderdale, Florida has held a trademark to the phrase "YOLO" in the context of the frozen yogurt business since 2010.[5][6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YOLO_(motto)

I believe that your teacher needs to do a little investigating on the subject. With 5 minutes of scanning search results I found the below link with a full history of YOLO, you only live once, and many like phrases. Enjoy, and share :)

I think your teacher was trying to get your imagination going, so that you'd pay more attention to Julius Caesar while looking for YOLO!

Woah... Your teacher was messing with you. The word YOLO comes from the song you only live once by drake. That's pretty strange.

Source(s): I FLEW ON A MAGIC LHAMA AND HE FLEW ME TO THE PLANET SCHKLUUG AND WE POOPED RAINBOWS! JKJKJK YOLO

Probably it is okay