Would Jehovah Witnesses Leaders in NY Consider setting up a Retirement & Health Insurance Plan for Pioneers?

I have read that the Jehovah Witnesses leadership body, the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society (WBTS), has sold real estate in Brooklyn, NY worth between $500 million and $1.0 billion over the past 20 years.

My Aunt has served as a Regular Pioneer for the Jehovah Witnesses for the past 42 years. She has never had a full-time job, and she has never paid into the Social Security and Medicare system in the USA. When she was younger, she was convinced that she would not grow old in this world system, and the new world would come before the generation of 1914 passed away.

She is currently 66 years old and in poor health. She never married and does not have any children. Unfortunately, she is not eligible to receive much or any Social Security benefits, and because of her age and poor health, she can not get an affordable health insurance policy. Her family (2 siblings and their children) are not in a financial position to take care of her. In addition, her sibling made choices and decisions a long time ago (when they were young) to work full-time to support themselves and their families.

Would the Jehovah Witnesses consider setting up a retirement and health insurance plan for full-time Regular Pioneers who have served for at least 10+ years? It seems like the Christian, fair and humane thing to do considering that these people (mostly women) have devoted most, and in some cases all, of their lives working on behalf of the WBTS.

I was told that the WBTS does offer some type of support and safety-net for Circuit Overseer & District Overseers once they get older, or are in poor health. But, all of these people are men. Most of the Regular Pioneers appear to be women, and there is not any kind of safety-net for them.

Thanks Maka & Tattytails for your answers.

Maka, you may be right about Jehovah Witnesses members being afraid to fight against the WBTS for their rights.

Tattytails, you bring up some good points, but I wanted to respond to a couple of your comments. However, your overall tone sounds a little self-righteous and very judgmental of my Aunt's family. You are trying to portray us as uncaring and unloving, even though that is not true. You seem to completely absolve the WBTS of any responsibility to help care for my Aunt, even though they do have the financial means to do so.

First, my Aunt's local Jehovah Witnesses (JW) congregation is made up of common people who are not wealthy. Some are unemployed and some are underemployed. They do help my Aunt by providing her with a ride to the Kingdom Hall and an occasional meal. Some even give her a few dollars from time to time. A lot of the local members have also been effected by the recession, and the overall bad economy. No one sho

Best Answer

I hate to burst your bubble but you have no idea of what you are talking about, for those that have no or little SS the government has SSI, it is an insurance that pays what ever the state your aunt lives in, California is over $900.00 monthly and I know for a fact that $730.00 is the amount in most states, so the minimum your aunt would receive is around $700 monthly, plus food stamps. I have a family member in the sate of OR that pays $171.00 monthly for a modern 1 bedroom apartment, she also receives $117.00 in food stamps and her doctors visit are a $5.00 co pay and her prescriptions are a $1.00 -to- $5.00 co pay. She does not drive and has a care taker that is paid by the state to clean for her and cook her meals.

Every state has these programs, have your aunt go to seniors services in her area!

It would appear that you are very uneducated in how your state system works or you are aware and you are trying to promote false propaganda!

Being a pioneer is a voluntary work and all pioneer's support themselves, how did she support herself for her many years in the pioneer work?

Please make sure your aunt knows [all] the resources available to her because the state you say your aunt is in is an unnecessary conditions, and if you love her as you profess I'm sure you will.

The question I ask is why you are un aware of the many resources? Anyone with a high school education knows of these resources, how old are you and why are you so misinformed?

It has been against the law for many years to refused medical treatment to those in need, are you an American?

The government will pay you for jury duty but does it pay you to go to church? Should a person get paid for their beliefs?

Each congregation helps those that are truly in need and we [take care] of our pioneers, your aunts service for preaching the good news of of God's Kingdom(Matt 24:14) grants her everlasting life in the new system, God's Kingdom(Dan 2:44)!

I've tried to be kind in my answer to your question as I hope your question comes from the right place and not meant to create dissension from the views of those that are ignorant as to the service your aunt has done of her own free will, she did not serve the Jehovah's Witnesses her service was to her heavenly Father Jehovah God and I'm sure if she knew you were asking this question she would be embarrassed for you and your lack of understanding the wonderful service your aunt has done, she might tell you to read Psalms 1:1-6!

First, my Aunt's local Jehovah Witnesses (JW) congregation is made up of common people who are not wealthy. Some are unemployed and some are underemployed. They do help my Aunt by providing her with a ride to the Kingdom Hall and an occasional meal. Some even give her a few dollars from time to time. A lot of the local members have also been effected by the recession, and the overall bad economy. No one should be a burden on their local congregation if they can help it.

The scriptures you quoted are for every Christian, but people can only help within their means. A lot of the members have their own aged parent or relative that needs some extra help. The scriptures you quoted are not intended to be a substitute for making sound financial or career decisions. Also, those scriptures are not intended to be a substitute for having a social security plan, retirement plan, or a health insurance plan. If so, none of us would need any help when we get older. We could all rely on our family or our local church instead of having a social security system, a retirement plan or a health insurance plan.

Also, every person has to take some personal responsibility and make wise choices in life. If you read the Apostle Paul's words in 2 Thessalonian 3:8-10, it states: "nor did we eat anyone’s food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. 9 We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to offer ourselves as a model for you to imitate. 10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

Also, Luke 14:28-30 states: "Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? 29 For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, 30 saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish". As you know, this scriptures means that we should all consider our decisions and choices wisely. For example, we should ask ourselves: "what if the new system does not come soon and I grow old in this system? How would I take care of myself and all of my needs?"

But, I am not here to debate about my Aunt's decisions and choices. We do love and help my Aunt, even though we did not agree with some of the choices she made in the past. However, we can only help her so much as our means will allow us to help.

My Aunt did work as a cleaning lady when she was younger. She worked for local families on a part-time basis, but these families did not take out any taxes, nor did they offer her any health or retirement benefits. She was able to make a little money to take care of her most basic needs.

The wealth in the Jehovah Witnesses organization is concentrated at the top. The WBTS has hundreds of millions of dollars, but most of the local members have very little. Why does the leadership of the WBTS always get a pass, and the local members are burdened with caring for members who have fallen through the cracks? Especially members who have devoted most of their lives promoting the JW message.

• Maka

it seems fair. but i doubt that victims would have the courage to fight for their rights against the church.