Age requirements for jobs?

Hi, I recently turned 16 years old and am in the search of some jobs before summer starts. I already have a few places in mind (ex. Macy's, Target, Subway, Tim Hortons, Shi, Journeys, and Starbucks). Though there are some other places that I'm thinking of applying at but I'm not sure what the age requirement for those places are. The places are: Claire's, Delila's, American Eagle, Icing, H&M, and Forever 21. What is the age requirement for the places just listed? If it helps (because I know that some places vary from state to state) I live in Ohio.

If you know of any other place that hires 16 year olds, please mention in your answer! Though I would preferably not like to apply at grocery stores or fast food places (like McDonalds, Wendy's, or Burger King).

Other questions:

•If you've worked at any of the places I mentioned up above, what was your experience like?

•Are there certain qualifications that I should meet for any job?

•Would being involved in extra-curricular activites in school boost my chances of being hired? Or do you even have to mention if you're in any extra-curricular activities

•Any tips/suggestions when applying somewhere, doing a job interview, etc?

Thanks so much!!

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Maniac
    Lv 5
    7 years ago
    Best Answer

Most of the places that you mentioned do hire people who are age 16. For most companies, 16 years of age is the minimum age for a job. Any store that caters to teenagers (American Eagle, Forever 21, Hollister, even Subway, Macy's, Starbucks) is going to hire people who are near the age of their customers. I would definitely start with those.

Most of those jobs are going to be entry-level jobs so it is unlikely that you will need any specific qualifications. Extra-curricular activities in and out of school definitely help, as they show that you are diverse.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.