Can anybody tell me about old Macintosh hard drives?

A friend of mine has an old (from 2001 - 2002) Macintosh desktop computer - dead. I haven't seen it yet, and she doesn't remember the model. (She has to dig it out of a closet.) I'm a PC guy: Mostly Linux. I've never opened up a Mac before. Before I offer to try to recover her pictures and... show more A friend of mine has an old (from 2001 - 2002) Macintosh desktop computer - dead. I haven't seen it yet, and she doesn't remember the model. (She has to dig it out of a closet.)

I'm a PC guy: Mostly Linux. I've never opened up a Mac before.

Before I offer to try to recover her pictures and files, can anyone advise me regarding what I'm going to find inside? Will the hard drive use a familiar PATA/IDE or SATA interface, or am I going to find something else (SCSI, perhaps?)

What kind of file system will a Mac of that era use? Surely it won't be FAT32, or NTFS. Is it some kind of Apple proprietary format, or do they use something my Linux machines can read?

I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew.