Andy
Andy asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 7 years ago

Does the confederate flag stand for racism?

My neighbors fly a confederate flag here in California and people are always on them that it's racist

Best Answer

The confederacy was formed because the south wanted to continue to practice slavery. You know, buying and selling people like livestock based on the color of their skin.

So, yeah. You can say whatever you want about the "culture" of the south, but at it's roots... It is what it is.

You have to look at the context in which the person is using the flag. Some people use it as a symbol of heritage and Southern pride, and insist that it has nothing to do with hate.

Other people do in fact use it to demean other black people.

It really depends on the person who is flying it.

Source(s): I was a black teenager who was once walking, a white guy pulled over and offered me a ride, took me where I needed to be, we shook hands and parted ways, and as he drove off I noticed a confederate flag sticker on his rear window.

Not necessarily. The south had many different beliefs back in the civil war period. One of them just happened to be that they believed slavery was okay. If they were truly racist they would have a "ku klux klan" flag or something.

Heritage not hate.