Was Jesus called "Jesus" even before he came to earth? Could he have had another name back then?

Update:

Please people get over the fact that we are speaking English, obviously I am refering to the name that translates into its English equivalent... are we going to have to go through "The word GOD isn't in the bible because it's not that in Hebrew?" really... does everyone have to speak "Hebrish" so they can come over as armchair linguists?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It makes since that Jesus indeed had another name before coming to earth. In the bible names are really important and have a meaning, some of their names were even changed, surnames continued with the apostles. These names were given to better suite that persons qualities and such. Jesus in hebrews means Jehovah is salvation and Christ is the equivalent of the hebrew Mi.shi'ach meaning messiah...The merriam -webster dictionary's definition of messiah is..a professed or accepted leader of some hope or cause. It would make since for christ to be named Jesus because of the meaning and the purpose for him coming. The name sure makes a statement....Micah 5:2 And You, O bethlehem* ephrathah the one too little to get to be among the thousands of judah, from You* there will come out to me the one who is to become ruler in Israel, whose origin* is from early times, from the days of time indefinite...Why did he say that Jesus had an origin from early times?

John 3:13 moreover, no man has ascended into heaven, but he that descended from heaven, the son of man.

John 6:38 Because I have come down from heaven, to do. not my will, but the will of him that sent me.

John 6:62 What, therefore, if you should behold the son of man ascending to where he was before

John 17:4,5 I have glorified, You on the earth, having finished the work You have given me to do, 5. So you now, Father, glorify me alongside yourself with the glory that I had longside You before the world was.

To let the world tell it , the world was before Jesus came into it, but John 17: 4,5 clearly shows be was before the world.

There is an angel in the Bible by the name of Michael, his name meaning "Who is like God". Who other is like God than Jesus? Just like the saying father like son. You have to remember in the Bible people are often referred to as having other names. Michael is the arch angel, which means chief and the bible only mentions one archangel, never in the plural form.

1 thessalonians 4:16 Because the Lord himself, will descend from heaven , with a commanding call,, with an archangels voice and with God's trumpet, and those who are dead in union with Christ will rise first.

Why would Christ have an archangels voice? Why not his own voice?

Revelations 12:7 And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels battled with the Dragon, and the dragon and it's angels battled.

2 Thessalonians 1:7 But, to you who suffer tribulation, relief along with us at the revelation of the lord Jesus from heaven with his powerful angels.

Wouldn't it make since that Jesus is the chief angel, the one in charge of them? Why is Michael not mentioned when Jesus name is mentioned with his angels?

Source(s): .
  • 8 years ago

Jesus was born and raised during the time period when the Romans controlled Jerusalem and the main languages being spoken were Greek and Aramaic. The name Jesus is Greek and the new testament was written in Greek. So this is why The Son Of God's name in the new testament is Jesus because it's a Greek name. If God wanted His Son's Name to be Hebrew and the new testament to be written in Hebrew, I'm sure he would have made that happen but, it's obvious that he didn't want it that way. I'm sure it's possible that Jesus could have had another name before he came to earth, for example, "Emmanuel" which means God is with us.

• 8 years ago

Jesus is a translations from the original name written as Yeshoo. Muslims know him as Isa. From Yeshoo went to Yeshua to Yesus to Jesus. So no, he was not called Jesus, he was most likely called Yeshoo by the Jews and Yesus by greeks then Jesus in latter iterations of the writings.

Also, it is theorized that Jesus and the apostles did not spoke Hebrew normally. They spoke Aramaic, which was the language of the land they inhabited.

• vock
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

It comes from the e-book of Daniel "There before me was once one like a son of man coming with clouds and heaven." Daniel 7:thirteen Daniel 7:14 clearly says "He was once given authority, glory and sovereign vigor." When Jesus refers to the "Son of Man" that is ordinarily what he's regarding.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Jews were named after Birth. Before birth, He was known by such terms as "The Word of God" and so forth.

What makes you think that God is not in the Bible or that there is no word for God in Hebrew?

• 8 years ago

He's not an alien, He created he heavens and the earth and He will not return in a space ship. He'll be riding on a cloud. According to 1 Chron 22:18 The Lord our God Jesus Christ is "God with us." or "Adonai Eloheynu Immanuel" or "The Righteous Jehovah Immanuel Jesus Christ our God of Justice" or "The Lord of Mercy and Justice, our God with us Immanuel Jesus Christ the Righteous Tzedek Mashiach, a High Priest Forever according to the order of Melchizedek." <the voice of one gnat who fears God>

• 8 years ago

Hi

Yes

Many theologians believe that appearances of the “angel of the Lord” (or, more literally, “angel of Yahweh”) in Old Testament times were preincarnate appearances of Jesus Christ. (The word preincarnate means “before becoming a human being.”) There are a number of evidences for this view:

* The angel of Yahweh appeared to Moses in the burning bush and claimed to be God (Exodus 3:6).

Yet, the angel of Yahweh was sent into the world by Yahweh (Judges 13:8–9), just as Jesus was sent into the world in New Testament times by the Father (John 3:17).

* The angel of Yahweh prayed to Yahweh on behalf of the people of God (Zechariah 1:12), just as Jesus prays to the Father for the people of God today (Hebrews 7:25; 1 John 2:1–2).

It would seem that appearances of this “angel” could not be the Father or the Holy Spirit. After all, the Father is One “whom no one has seen or can see” (1 Timothy 6:16, NIV; see also John 1:18, 5:37). Moreover, the Holy Spirit cannot be physically seen (John 14:17). That leaves only Jesus.

* The angel of Yahweh and Jesus engaged in amazingly similar ministries—such as delivering the enslaved (Exodus 3; Galatians 1:4; 1 Thessalonians 1:10; 2 Timothy 4:18; Hebrews 2:14–15) and comforting the downcast (Genesis 16:7–13; 1 Kings 19:4–8; Matthew 14:14, 15:32–39).

These evidences suggest that appearances of the angel of Yahweh in Old Testament times were preincarnate appearances of Christ. Assuming this is correct, the word “angel” is used of Christ in these verses in accordance with its Hebrew root, which means “messenger, one who is sent, envoy.” Christ, as the angel of Yahweh, was acting on behalf of the Father, just as He did in New Testament times.AND is is also clear based on Hebrews 1 that Jesus could not himself be an angel.

Jesus possesses attributes that belong only to God. Jesus is eternal. John 1:1 affirms: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” The word was in this verse is an imperfect tense, indicating continuous, ongoing existence. When the timespace universe came into being, Christ already existed (Hebrews 1:8–11).

Jesus is self-existent. As the Creator of all things (John 1:3; Colossians 1:16; Hebrews 1:2), Christ himself must be uncreated. Colossians 1:17 tells us that Christ is “before all things, and in Him all things consist.”

Jesus is everywhere-present. Christ promised His disciples, “Where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them” (Matthew 18:20). Since people all over the world gather in Christ’s name, the only way He could be present with them all is if He is truly omnipresent (see Matthew 28:20; Ephesians 1:23, 4:10; Colossians 3:11).

Jesus is all-knowing. Jesus knew where the fish were in the water (Luke 5:4, 6; John 21:6–11), and He knew just which fish contained the coin (Matthew 17:27). He knew the future (John 11:11, 18:4), specific details that would be encountered (Matthew 21:2–4), and knew from a distance that Lazarus had died (John 11:14). He also knows the Father as the Father knows Him (Matthew 11:27; John 7:29, 8:55, 10:15, 17:25).

Jesus is all-powerful. Christ created the entire universe (John 1:3; Colossians 1:16; Hebrews 1:2) and sustains the universe by His own power (Colossians 1:17; Hebrews 1:3). During His earthly ministry, He exercised power over nature (Luke 8:25), physical diseases (Mark 1:29–31), demonic spirits (Mark 1:32–34), and even death (John 11:1–44).

Jesus is sovereign. Christ presently sits at the right hand of God the Father, “angels and authorities and powers having been made subject to Him” (1 Peter 3:22). When Christ comes again in glory, He will be adorned with a majestic robe, and on the thigh section of the robe will be the words, “KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS” (Revelation 19:16).

And, Micah 5:2 reads, "2But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, Though you are little among the thousands of Judah, Yet out of you shall come forth to Me. The One to be Ruler in Israel, Whose goings forth are from of old, from everlasting." If you accept the New Testament as an authority, Matthew 2:3-6 provides a very interesting commentary on this passage. According to Matthew the Jerusalem Scribes used this passage to tell the wise men where the Messiah would be born. If Micah was talking about where Jesus would be born, then the second half of Micah 5:2 is very interesting. Micah claims that the child born in Bethlehem had been going forth from creation and from eternity. This almost certainly suggests that the person born in Bethlehem was the God seen so often by the Old Testament believers.

Hope this helps

• 8 years ago

He was also called the Messiah and a few other names..."For there has been a child born to us, there has been a son given to us; and the princely rule will come to be upon his shoulder.+And his name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah chapter 9 verse 6

www.jw.org

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

@Court is right - I'm going to allow this. The letter "J" didn't exist in regular usage in English or Latin until the 15th century.

• 8 years ago

First of all, no one back then spoke English.

Second, before he came to Earth, he was just a sperm in some mysterious stranger that Mary refused to name.

But of course, your a hypocrite JW who is going to give me thumbs down.

Source(s): The truth
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.