Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 8 years ago

I think I got a dog tick on my head (Please help now)?

I just removed a tick from my head and it was really big, I researched and looked almost like a dog tick. But did not find info. on humans getting this. What are the symptoms and how do I treat it. Should I get help now?

Favorite Answer

If it was in fact a dog tick (usually only the adult females will bite humans), there are two potential diseases to be mindful of. One is Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF) and the other is tularemia.

Tularemia has been reported from all states except Hawaii, but is most common in the south central United States, the Pacific Northwest, and parts of Massachusetts, including Martha's Vineyard.

The signs and symptoms of tularemia vary depending on how the bacteria enters the body. Illness ranges from mild to life-threatening. All forms are accompanied by fever, which can be as high as 104 °F. In the most common form of tularemia, a skin ulcer appears at the site where the organism entered the body. The ulcer is accompanied by swelling of regional lymph glands, usually in the armpit or groin.

Although RMSF cases have been reported throughout most of the contiguous United States, five states (North Carolina, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Missouri) account for over 60% of RMSF cases. Typical symptoms include: fever, headache, abdominal pain, vomiting, and muscle pain. A rash may also develop, but is often absent in the first few days, and in some patients, never develops. Rocky Mountain spotted fever can be a severe or even fatal illness if not treated in the first few days of symptoms.

Therefore, you should watch very carefully for signs of either of these diseases and consult a doctor immediately if you experience any of them. Not all ticks carry these diseases and it does take some time for them to be able to transmit any that they do carry so do not panic. Absolutely be mindful of any symptoms you may experience though.

Source(s): www.cdc.gov/rmsf www.cdc.gov/tularemia
  • Use fine-tipped tweezers to remove a tick. If you don't have tweezers, put on gloves or cover your hands with tissue paper, then use your fingers. Do not handle the tick with bare hands.

Grab the tick as close to its mouth (the part that is stuck in your skin) as you can. The body of the tick will be above your skin.

Do not grab the tick around its swollen belly. You could push infected fluid from the tick into your body if you squeeze it.

Gently pull the tick straight out until its mouth lets go of your skin. Do not twist the tick. This may break off the tick's body and leave the head in your skin.

Put the tick in a dry jar or ziplock bag and save it in the freezer for later identification if necessary.