How can researchers know marijuana wont help the Alzheimer's disease?

I'm doing a research paper on the medical/recreation legalization of marijuana. And I found that it helps patients with Alzheimer's, but then I found this about some research showing that marijuana doesn't help mice with Alzheimer's but my question is, how can they know? I mean it's an animal. It does whatever it wants anyway. How (if) do they know?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Edward
    Lv 6
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

This is a complicated answer well beyond the scope of a simple online forum.

Very basically, we know mouse behavior. We know mouse neurology very well. We have well established tests and novel tests that are developed to test mice.

Lab mice aren't like the wild mice you are accustomed to. They are different even from domestic (pet/feeder) mice.

To understand how we know this, you have to understand mice, their relation and usefulness to medical research, the research done (by reading the research paper), and how the data are interpreted.

For this specific example, one easy way to tell is to compare the brains of mice with their version of Alzheimer's there were treated with marijuana to those that weren't. If there is no statistically significant reduction in brain deterioration, then there is no medical benefit in mice.

There is a lot of conflicting evidence on the medical use of marijuana. Currently, there is evidence that THC may slow the progression of Alzheimer's by blocking one of the key pathological markers for it. This doesn't mean that it stops Alzheimer's, it just means that THC could POTENTIALLY be used to slow or stop the progression of it in humans.

Marijuana isn't a single compound. It is a complicated plant, and the effects of each compound individually and combined have to be studied. There are studies out there that both support and deny its usefulness as a source of medication. You just have to read the individual study and take it for what it is worth.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

They can see the animals reactions to many different stimuli. And when the mouse stops recognizing the things it should know then they see they marijuana is not helping. They have studied mice and other animals enough to know how they should react to certain stimuli.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

ok first to sparkling up myths it dosent kill very many concepts cells in any respect a approaches under alcohol and ciggaretes and likewise concepts cells DO advance back yet slowly nicely the only actual disadvantges are which you will get particularly hungry and you will consume alot you get slow and comfortable while your severe which would be a draw back in some circumstances and it may limit you from getting a job and would supply you a undesirable rep with non human beings who smoke yet that dosent count except you care ahaha stable success

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.