Watson Stronyx Birth Control Pills?

hi so I got prescribes these at planned parenthood because the ortho contraceptives I used to take made me really depressed... the girl said they were low dose but will do the same effect. now I've been trying to find out information on this pill online and can't find a lot I just need to know is it a good pill? what are the side effects? i took my fifth one today now

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Mawia
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

When taking Watson Pharma Inc.'s - Sronyx (levonorgestrel and ethinyl estradiol) consider this:

Drug-Drug Interactions

Interactions between ethinyl estradiol and other drugs have been reported in the literature.

Interactions with Absorption. Diarrhea may increase gastrointestinal motility and reduce hormone absorption. Similarly, any drug which reduces gut transit time may reduce hormone concentrations in the blood.

Interactions with Metabolism

Gastrointestinal Wall: Sulfation of ethinyl estradiol has been shown to occur in the gastrointestinal wall. Therefore, drugs which act as competitive inhibitors for sulfation in the gastrointestinal wall may increase ethinyl estradiol bioavailability.

Hepatic metabolism: Interactions can occur with drugs that induce microsomal enzymes which can decrease ethinyl estradiol concentrations (e.g., rifampin, barbiturates, phenylbutazone, phenytoin, griseofulvin).

Interference with Enterohepatic Circulation: Some clinical reports suggest that enteroheptic circulation of estrogens may decrease when certain antibiotic agents are given, which may reduce ethinyl estradiol concentrations (e.g., ampicillin, tetracycline).

Interference in the Metabolism of Other Drugs: Ethinyl estradiol may interfere with the metabolism of other drugs by inhibiting hepatic microsomal enzymes or by inducing hepatic drug conjugation, particularly glucuronidation. Accordingly, plasma and tissue concentrations may either be increased or decreased, respectively (e.g., cyclosporin, theophylline).

CONTRAINDICATIONS

Oral contraceptives should not be used in women who currently have the following conditions:

Thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders

A past history of deep-vein thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders

Cerebral-vascular or coronary-artery disease

Known or suspected carcinoma of the breast

Carcinoma of the endometrium or other known or suspected estrogen dependent neoplasia

Undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding

Cholestatic jaundice of pregnancy or jaundice with prior pill use

Hepatic adenomas or carcinomas

Known or suspected pregnancy

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.