Skateboard bearings abec3vs abec7?

I am a beginner skateboarder and I am getting a penny nickel board. I am getting a 2011 model because of the colors scheme that they don't have in any if the newer models. They have abec 3 bearings on them but the newer ones have abec 7 bearings. Do you think it will make a big difference? I'm just a beginner and I don't plan on doing many tricks. Just cruising around town. Thanks

Favorite Answer

There is no speed difference. ABEC 7 has smaller gaps to avoid vibration in high speed (over 200 mph on a board) industrial equipment. The smaller gaps can cause them to be slower.

The bearing rating in unrelated to speed. Within some makers, the higher numbers will be faster but may still be slower than a lower number from a better maker.

The big difference is in the lube. Oil or gels run faster out of the box but loosen up as you use them. Grease needs longer to break in but lasts longer before needing to be re lubed.

Once broken in, bearings are so close in speed that the wheels will be a much larger difference.

The difference between abec3 and aBec7 seven is the polishing on the BBs inside the bearing. Some are built for speed which would be abec7, However abec7 Can get dirty faster and they can seize faster. Abec3 Can handle a lot of wear and tear. I would personally go with the abec 7