Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Do you have to use a special drill in orderto tap threads?

I am new to this so I am not totally sure what I am talking about. But I am supposed to be cutting internal threads in a rod that are 5/16 x 18 UNC. I know that I am supposed to drill a hole first and than use a tap to cut the threads. But is there a specific type of drill bit that you are supposed to use? I know that you have to use a specific size. But are there different kinds? The chart says to use a size F .2570 drill. So as long as the bit says F, I should be okay right? Or is there specific type to use? This may sound stupid, but I just want to know

3 Answers

  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    F or 1/4" bit should be fine to tap 5/16'' threads. You can use a cordless drill, corded drill, drill press or hand tap to tap the threads.

    If you're new to it I would suggest the hand tap as it would be the safest, and cheapest. It is basically a handle that holds the tap.

    Get a tap, and a little bit of wax and you be good to go.

    Remember though, safety first.

    Source(s): years of fabrication experience
  • 8 years ago

    I'm glad you were able to interpret the need for a .2570 bit.

    Selecting the bit depends on the material you wish to drill into.

    Cutting threads into a rod (co-axially?) will depend on the

    rod's hardness and composition (wood?,brass?, mild steel?, tool steel?)

    You cannot use a drill bit to make a hole in another drill bit.

    At a minimum, you will need a bit rated HHS. Possibly HHSco

    or HHSti.

    Either identify the rod material, or bring it with you when

    purchasing the drill bit from a knowledgeable supplier.

  • Roger
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

    Use a good quality size F (0.2570) drill bit, make sure the hole is drilled perpendicular to the rod. Then run the tap through the drilled hole. Use machine oil on the tap

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.