promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
22Male asked in HealthOther - Health · 7 years ago

weed is a gateway drug?

I want only your opinion on this:

Is weed a gateway-drug by itself, or is it a gateway-drug by the option to get "harder drugs" from a dealer, because of the prohibition?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Gateway drug is the biggest B.S. term ever associated with pot. The vast majority of persons who have smoked pot do not go on to become these hardcore drug users that the D.A.R.E. moms warned you against. This has been legalized (not just for medical purposes) in Washington and Colorado because someone is finally calling out the hypocrisy. Fourteen other states for medical purposes and they are learning it is tough to regulate so many are considering 100% legalization. The federal government currently has this drug labeled at the same level as heroin. Really? When the Reagan administration set up an independent council to study the effects of this drug and report back they did saying it should be legal. However, with the Vietnam war and widespread dissent (protests) at home there was an urgent need to be able to arrest persons in crowded areas. This was one of the tactics.

One of the reasons kids go on to try other drugs is because people call this a gateway drug and warn about all these ridiculous risks. The kids try it, and not being stupid realize their parents and teachers lied or overstretched the truth and begin to wonder if they are lying about other drugs. Unfortunately that is where an addict is created.

You have alcohol that does kill. You can put real numbers behind this every year and then you have pot which has 0 direct deaths. This doesn't mean people don't panic and go to the emergency room, this means they don't die. Within ten years all the states will follow suit. The GOP is positioning themselves away from former views and aligning with current realities.

And we take peaceful pot smoking individuals (many of them occassional), put them in jail, so they can become real criminals and commit real crime. F---ing wonderful. The taxpayers get to pay for all of this.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

The options are available due to the black market that marijuana has been put in. Usually a true pot head will remain simply that, a pot head. The availability of other illicit drugs when you purchase marijuana from your dealer puts you at a risk of wanting to try them or being pressured into trying them; half the time the dealer gives crack for free the first time and boom you're addicted. The only reason it can even be considered a gateway drug, which that is a ridiculous term anyways, is because of the people who say i tried marijuana but wanted something more. Well everybody is different, hence affected differently by drugs. Some people like uppers and others prefer downers. marijuana is considered a downer to some, so a person who is depressed will more than likely prefer cocaine or a methamphetamine because they make you numb, more so than pot ever will. Our society has such a scorn against pot thanks to the Reagan admin. the drug war costs more than any of us can imagine!

• 5 years ago

Weed is not a gate way drug at all. The only reason that people say it is, is if you've been smoking weed for a long time and it gets boring you could want to try something else but this happens over long time and is to do with your tolerance to some people have 3 tokes and are gone some people have to have 3 decent joints to feel **** there for could want to explore others like md?

• hermon
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

some human beings basically deal weed, and weed is largely a gateway drug if you're making it one. i imagine shrooms are extra of a gateway than something else, and if we get technical about gateways alcohol fairly is the gateway.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Look, it can be and it also can't be.

It all depends on the person.

My best friend has smoked pot for years and never even thought of touching anything else, even when she realized it's been laced. She enjoyed whatever it was laced with, but still wasn't interested.

I started slamming heroin a month after trying pot. I honestly don't believe it led me here. If I had never tried weed, I would've ended up on Heroin anyway.

It isn't about weed in my opinion. It's about your surroundings and the people you associate with.

Source(s): Personal
  • DM
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

No, it is not.

It is illegal for political reasons. Nothing more.

Now, weed with stuff IN it could be a gateway combo. That's why you don't buy off just anyone.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.