Where do I get instructions for CB adjusting?

I've heard stories/theories (aka opinions) about how to tune CB's as far as expanding their bandwidth, making them talk farther by cutting the noise limiter, turning finals in back up, even stories about taking old CB's and re-welding them to make 10 meter and other amateur radios out of them. Problem... show more I've heard stories/theories (aka opinions) about how to tune CB's as far as expanding their bandwidth, making them talk farther by cutting the noise limiter, turning finals in back up, even stories about taking old CB's and re-welding them to make 10 meter and other amateur radios out of them. Problem is, what books are there out there for understanding what all those cute colorful little pieces welded inside are and what they do? I've just been interested in electronics in general and watching others play with things like CB radios, AM/FM radios, remote controls for everything and what not else, it's gotten me curious about the how and why and what about this stuff. Being someone who at this point is lucky they don't blow something up turning it on, I don't wanna' suddenly have a mushroom cloud over my town while trying to do anything with this stuff! :)
(Hey, actually back in H.S. -about 22 years ago- we were welding a circuit with LED lights together that when hooked up to a 9 V battery were supposed to blink alternately back and forth. Well, mine blinked on and off TOGETHER! If that ain't funny (scary?) enough, our TEACHER didn't even know what I did wrong!)
Are there any electronics 101 (or in my case "preventing mushroom clouds 101") :) that would be good to start with?
Update: KJ6QKV, the "weld" thing is just me throwing a bit of my original style humor in there indirectly saying how good I am with electronics (go read my issue back in high school again. -See what I mean?) :)