Light switch replacement issue?

I recently ha a light switch short out, and the entire back side melted away. It is a 2 switch wall plate that controls the front porch light (only switch for this) and front hall light (two switches away from each other). The porch light switch is the one that melted and I am unable to determine the switch type.... show more I recently ha a light switch short out, and the entire back side melted away. It is a 2 switch wall plate that controls the front porch light (only switch for this) and front hall light (two switches away from each other). The porch light switch is the one that melted and I am unable to determine the switch type.

I purchased 2 3-way switches as the only identifiable switch was a 3-way. Without being able to determine the original wiring for the porch switch, I used electrical guesswork. Everything works with the switches properly, but when I turn on the porch light I lose power to the study attached to the same breaker.

I attempted to change the wiring around on the hall switch, but got the same result. Keep in mind I can only tell the color of the wires on the hall switch due to the covers melting off the porch switch wiring.

I currently have power in the proper places (top connection on the switches). There was a wire going from the hall switch, attached to the porch switch, and back to the house; I assumed this was the ground. By best guess, I aced this wire in the lower right location (looking at the switch from the front) and placed the remaining wire on the lower left. I'm thinking that I may need a regular switch instead of a 3-way, or that the other wire attaches with the ground wires from the other switch.

Thanks for any help.