Navy federal or usaa?

me and my husband are a new military couple. he is new into the marine corp and we are currently trying to find the best bank for us. we are now with navy federal but are thinking about switching to usaa. we are having a hard time findin places to deposit cash into our navy federal account but heard that with a capital one account you can make online transfers (is this true?). however, we have recently heard of usaa and want to go with the best bank for us. if any information on either two or opinions please give them.

Best Answer

I've been with USAA for close to 2 decades now and have never had a single complaint. I've been extremely happy with both the insurance and the banking operations. I had 3 claims in 2011 -- 2 auto and 1 homeowners (Joplin EF5 tornado) and everything was handled quickly, fairly, and efficiently. The auto claim took longer than normal for repairs because of the extreme workload due to tornado claims and they extended the rental car coverage indefinitely until their recommended garage could complete the repairs.

On the banking side, you can deposit checks multiple ways. You can scan them, use an iPhone or Android app to photograph them, deposit them at any UPS Store, bank by mail, or in person. You can also deposit cash at the UPS Store.

I don't know of any ties between USAA Navy Federal and Capital One. I would not do business with Capital One if you paid me to. I had one of their cards years ago and a payment mailed 2 weeks early was misdirected in the mail. They charged me a $35 late fee and jacked my interest rate from 12% to 39% and refused to reduce it. I sent another check to pay the account in full and closed it. About a month later the missing check turned up and the bastards deposited it. It took me nearly 2 months to get my money back. (My bank screwed up and dropped the stop payment order.)

Although I'm a major credit union supporter, Navy Federal has had a few black marks in their past. Google Navy Federal complaints and judge for yourself. USAA Federal Savings is the ONLY bank that I will willingly deal with.

Neither Navy Federal nor USAA will let you get in over your head with credit. Too many commercial banks are too eager to lend money to folks who are at or past their limit on debt load.

Source(s): Retired First Sergeant. USAA member since 1994. Credit union member since 1967.
  • Brande

I suggest one to try this internet site where onel can get quotes from the best companies: http://INSURANCECOMPAREQUOTES.US/index.html?src=1Y...

RE :Navy federal or usaa?

Follow 6 answers

• tro

first of all the Navy Federal is a credit union it is not a bank

the organization of a credit union is different than a bank, they have different regulations they have to comply with and they are owned by the customers of the bank, you!

this means that the interest they earn on deposits is in turn returned to the customers in the form of better interest rates, probably better rates for mortgages or purchases of cars etc

banks are owned by the banks which also have shareholders who will profit as the bank profits but they are not owners like the credit union customers

most banks and credit unions now have complete on line banking services available

• E_Mac

Navy Federal, it is easier for junior enlisted to get car loans. USAA can be difficult for an E-2 to get a car loan.

Navy Federal also allows transfers.

No bank allows cash transfers. Not sure what you meant by that.

• Ronyea

The GI Bill is a benefit, not income. The BAH you would get as a full time student is an allowance for your housing, not income. You also do not declare GI Bill benefits on your income taxes. It is not income. No lender will count that as income. You are out of luck following that path.