Am I reading Obamacare wrong for Connecticut?

I'm a little confused about the health care plan. It seems like people like myself wont be helped at all by it. I make next to nothing. So by making too little I only qualify for Medicaid. But in my state (CT) you can only make up to $622.70 a month. If you make $623 you lose 100% of your benefits and are pointed toward the Charter Oak health plan for $598 a month. Do the math there: if you make .30 cents too much you lose your free health care and are forced to opt for one that costs 94% of your total income. So how does that plan help people like me?

That's actually happened to me a few times already. All I want is for an insurer to not be able to deny me for not having my records (I'm 40, I never knew there'd be a test and never kept any) and not be able to drop me. AND I want a cheap alternative like for basic services and prescriptions. Asking me to pay $600 a month for insurance when I never get sick is just silly.

xpatinas: Go troll elsewhere loser. Reported you.

Ice Cream Man: Normally I do have a better job. But even when I was making $60,000 a year I still couldn't afford to pay $7200 for care I didn't use. I never crash my car and I still pay like $130 a month for it, it seems silly to pay $600 a month for health insurance unless I make sure I use $7,000 worth of services every year (fake an illness to get a few CT Scans and MRIs).

Armchair: It's sad it's so profit-driven here in this country. Here are a group of people claiming to be pro-life that love the death penalty and would gladly let anyone that's sick that can't afford health care die in a second. America needs to get rid of the republicans and tea baggers to heal.

Favorite Answer

Connecticut is a hub for profit-driven (often ruthless and greedy) private insurance companies, so you may have a point if your state's politicians cater to these business interests over the needs of the state's residents. I suggest that you call your D.C. representatives to present your concerns and to protest Connecticut's seemingly pro-insurer biased, and also bring the problem to the attention of Health and Human Services Director Kathleen Sebelius.

Given CT's long-standing ties to the insurance industry, the state might prove to be a "tough nut to crack" for implementing consumer-serving or consumer-protecting changes. I suggest that you actually READ both bills, P.L.111-148 and P.L.111-152 (Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and its supplemental Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act), a.k.a., "Obamacare" to discover your rights. You would qualify for the low-income status that limits any amount you have to pay to only 3% of your income, I believe---but check it out. The expansion of Medicaid for your state (funded in the first two years by the federal government) might be applicable to your situation, as well. Like I suggested, read the new law. You might be pleasantly surprised.

One feature I particularly like: Greed--driven for-profit insurance companies now must spend at least 80% of each consumer dollar received on providing actual health care for that consumer or else the company has to REFUND the difference at the end of the year.

The Ice Cream Man understands your concern. Obviously nobody can pay 94% of their income for health insurance!

The good news is that Obamacare changes the Medicaid eligibility standards. Beginning next year, anyone who makes up to 133% of the Federal poverty level will be eligible for Medicaid. For a single person, that's up to $15,282 a year, so it sounds like you will qualify. Some Republican states have opted out of this Medicaid expansion, but Connecticut isn't one of them.

Also, this probably goes without saying, but you should try to find a better-paying job with an employer that offers health insurance. If they don't offer it, and your income goes over 133% of the FPL, you will be able to buy insurance from your state's health insurance exchange, and the Federal government will pick up most of the tab. After this year, insurers will no longer be allowed to deny you coverage or drop you for health reasons.

• Nick

no your not quite right your employer will have to take one of the approved insurance companies and depending on how big your company is will depend on percentage of rates you have to pay and the percentage of government help your employer gets to cover it your more likely to get put down to part time so your employer wont have to provide it at all and you'll be left having to get your own privately.

you should be scared be really scared obamacare isn't for the middle class or the small business its designed to put small business out of business and people like us dependent 100% on the government

in the end you wont have to pay 598 a month for it more like 250 but you will be forced to pay it and if you don't have the money for it you'll be fined the money you don't have for it lol

No, but your use of the English language is suspect.

"I'm a little confused about the health care plan."

More than a "little", cupcake.

• Almost no one will be helped by the disaster of Obamacare. IT IS ALL A SCAM!

You're still gonna get screwed.