Will Cloud based storage beat External hard drive storage?

My 2xSeagate expansions 2TB just failed 1 month after another. The one that first failed was the always connected ext HD, and the recent drive that died was the networked ex hard drive

Good thing is I sense that they are gonna fail soon because of frequent self-dismount on the PC and the loud sound when accessing the drives so I made a backup.

So today, A 2TB seagate ext Hard drive costs 120$. Double that = 240$

Now, if their life expectancy averages to 2.5years. Then it would cost me 96$/year for a 4TB backup solution.

Comparing to a reliable cloud service that offers 4$/month Unlimited GB. 4*12 = 48$/year and it's unlimited GB. That would be a whopping 50% savings immediately. That doesn't include the power consumption on the hard drives/NAS.

Note: I have the same experience with NAS, will inevitably fail after 2 years ~.~

Favorite Answer

The disadvantage of cloud is that you need to upload your files and you need to have a good stable connection where as the ex HDD are easy, plug and play.

But if you want you can go for cloud which is very extremely good idea.

Cloud Based External Hard Drive

• vespa

When you bought your computer, home windows 7 was already on it. You can need to purchase a windows 7 CD & down load it onto your computer. I'm no longer relatively certain, if the "methods repair" CD, that should have come with your computer, would reinstall home windows 7 or not. I've shopped at workplace Depot & discovered detailed workers to be relatively helpful in relation to answering laptop questions.

i understand where you are coming from but most of my external drives still going after 6 years and older than the 2tb drives maybe you have a defective external drive and i don't care how much it cost for cloud storage still i don't use it , love my external drives all my data is there not online