Will Cloud based storage beat External hard drive storage?

My 2xSeagate expansions 2TB just failed 1 month after another. The one that first failed was the always connected ext HD, and the recent drive that died was the networked ex hard drive

Good thing is I sense that they are gonna fail soon because of frequent self-dismount on the PC and the loud sound when accessing the drives so I made a backup.

So today, A 2TB seagate ext Hard drive costs 120$. Double that = 240$

Now, if their life expectancy averages to 2.5years. Then it would cost me 96$/year for a 4TB backup solution.

Comparing to a reliable cloud service that offers 4$/month Unlimited GB. 4*12 = 48$/year and it's unlimited GB. That would be a whopping 50% savings immediately. That doesn't include the power consumption on the hard drives/NAS.

Note: I have the same experience with NAS, will inevitably fail after 2 years ~.~

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The disadvantage of cloud is that you need to upload your files and you need to have a good stable connection where as the ex HDD are easy, plug and play.

But if you want you can go for cloud which is very extremely good idea.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Cloud Based External Hard Drive

• vespa
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

When you bought your computer, home windows 7 was already on it. You can need to purchase a windows 7 CD & down load it onto your computer. I'm no longer relatively certain, if the "methods repair" CD, that should have come with your computer, would reinstall home windows 7 or not. I've shopped at workplace Depot & discovered detailed workers to be relatively helpful in relation to answering laptop questions.

• 7 years ago

i understand where you are coming from but most of my external drives still going after 6 years and older than the 2tb drives maybe you have a defective external drive and i don't care how much it cost for cloud storage still i don't use it , love my external drives all my data is there not online

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.