Who is to blame when fertilizer plants blow up and garment factory buildings collapse?

At least 398 people have died in Bangladesh's garment factory collapse. They knew the building had cracks on it but forced their workers to continue working.

14 people died at the Texas fertilizer plant facility.

How about politicians always wanting to cut regulations and inspections? Doing so has consequences!

Favorite Answer

Just wanted to comment about what Jannella said ..."the workers could have walked out. there were no guns to their heads- and as it turns out, their jobs would have been gone the next day anyhow."

Well, knowing what I do about that part of the world, those factory workers in Bangladesh may have been facing a choice of working somewhere that was dangerous or starving...so it may not have seemed like much of a choice to them. And though I don't know about the building that collapsed I do know that there have been cases of fire (I believe it was Bangladesh) where the reason so many died was because the doors were padlocked...(which could be evidence that some people were being kept there by force...happens more often than you would like to think).

As for West, Texas (and I'm not sure if Jannelle meant that statement to apply there too), it wasn't factory workers who died. I believe the plant had either been evacuated or people had gone home for the night because to my knowledge none of those who died were factory workers there. It was mostly firefighters responding to the blaze and some people in nearby homes/apartments. And then of course the other victims were those who lost their homes to the explosion.

I think those most at fault were those running the plant who were misreporting the amount explosive gas at the plant, and anyone else at the plant who knew about it and understood the dangers and didn't say anything. Secondly, I think it was the state regulators for not doing a better job at regulating and checking on that...which, if it wasn't due to lack of funding and not enough regulation, you have to ask why there wasn't some check on whether what the factory was telling them was correct.

Also, I just read that theft may have taken a roll. The factory had been burglarized frequently by thiefs stealing ammonia (which is used ion cooking meth) and in the process the valves got tampered with. The first I've heard of this is an article posted today (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/03/us-usa-e... and they say they still don't know if this had any relation to the explosion. Could be a scapegoat, but could have been a factor too.

(I live 30 minutes from West, so I've been following this quite a bit).

Source(s): For the victims in West, my main source is this... http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/04/25/4801837/a-...

the workers could have walked out. there were no guns to their heads- and as it turns out, their jobs would have been gone the next day anyhow.

as for texas- there were a plethora of loop holes to fall through, and an illegal amount of combustible fertilizers at the plant. oh and no sprinkler system either. please bear in mind the plant had not been inspected in a decade. this was not due to cut backs. this was due to lack of complaints <loop hole caused by the size of the facility>

Yes, the "smaller government" folks are to blame. Cut government, banish regulation, hold no businesses accountable and crush unions--this is the result. Usually only union employees will report unsafe working conditions.

And OSHA/the feds really did their job to ensure the plant at Texas was safe. lol

• Par 4

If I give you the answer you want to hear and say Conservatives will you give me Best Answer?

Facts be damned!