Anonymous

tired and feeling ill all the time but doctors wont take me seriously?

I feel really tired and drained all of the time and rest doesn't seem to help and I always feel sick. This has been going on now for 6 years since I was 14 (I'm almost 20 now), I had blood tests over the years, I even got tested for leukemia at one point and basically they could never find anything "wrong", and over time they've told me it's all just in my head. Things got worse, I started getting aching joints all the time and the tiredness got worse to the point where I couldn't go out much at all. I was, and still continue to sleep for about 14 hours a day, at this point I became depressed so the doctors blamed it on my depression when the problem was around before that. (I wasn't depressed before). I've tried everything, exercise makes it worse, getting up at set times and having a routine doesn't change it, I've eliminated certain foods from my diet one at a time to see if it could be that, I have quite literally tried everything. I get really tired just walking up and down the stairs and my joints constantly hurt, it's got to the point where I cannot work. I went back to the doctors again recently after a friend mentioned chronic fatigue syndrome and the doctor literally laughed in my face. Please help because I am at my wits end and it's just getting worse. I want to be able to have a job and just have my life back generally. Thank you so much for any help.

(Also please do not say I was most likely depressed before, I really wasn't, I know my own body, i became depressed because I had to stop working and couldn't go out of the house much anymore after it started getting worse)

• Autumn
    Favorite Answer

hi Abigail. there are still too many doctors who don't believe in medical conditions they can't see or don't show up in test results.

it could be a case of ME and fibromyalgia although they can mimic more serious conditions. you really need to see a different GP at the surgery or change surgery all together.

even without a diagnosis there is strong pain relief available, residential ME/CFS and fibro courses to learn how to live with the conditions, referrals to a rheumatologist, a neurologist and a pain specialist, disability benefits/blue badge/disabled bus pass, social services help for aids and adaptations such as a hospital style bed, a stairlift, instillation of a wetroom, grab rails, a wheelchair etc, eligibility for a housing association bungalow.

whatever is wrong with you, you are disabled and have rights. ESA and DLA benefits pay over £1000 a month for the most disabled people. DLA pays well so you can get a cleaner, a carer, taxis etc but it also opens doors to many discounts such as discretionary 2 for 1 entry to events so you can take a carer and a CEA card to get 2 for 1 at the cinema. higher rate mobility component of DLA gives you free car tax.

it's not all about money but with the money you can get the help you need, a social life as you're so young, and the chance to go to uni if you want to as they give out more money for equipment you need to help you. also if you want to leave home, if you get the middle rate care component of DLA you can get housing benefit on a 1 bed place not just 1 room. maybe even save up to see a specialist(?)

best wishes sweetheart, i know how you feel, A x

I don't really know what to do but maybe you could get a therapist? Also, u could try different doctors.

it could be your stressed or something.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Chronic-fatigue-syndr...

got to this address ^^^ and read on chs. personally I think it is chronic fatigue syndrome im only 13. hope it helps

Source(s): http://www.nhs.uk and the internet