Do U.S. feminists support their European sisters in wanting to remove urinals from men's restrooms?

I know several feminist organizations in Europe are pushing for urinals to be removed as well as for men to sit while peeing. I haven't come across anything about how U.S. feminists stand (sit?) on this issue. If you have any information or sources, please share. - Thanks.

"Young women in Sweden, Germany and Australia have a new cause: They want men to sit down while urinating. ...because a man standing up to urinate is deemed to be triumphing in his masculinity, and by extension, degrading women."

A feminist group at Stockholm University is campaigning to ban all urinals from campus, and one Swedish elementary school has already removed them."

http://townhall.com/columnists/johnleo/2000/08/17/...

I'm aware that Viggo Hansen and the liberal party have jumped on the issue and are giving it a new spin, but I'm interested in knowing if there is more support for this idea from feminists in the U.S. based on the idea of equality and that standing is somehow degrading to women. or if that view is unique to European feminists.

Favorite Answer

Living in a very liberal town in the united states I have heard nothing on the matter of urinals from feminists.

There are some interesting associations that men hold with sitting down to pee.

The German word describes this, "Sitzpinkler" literally means a man who sits to pee. it is used in a derogatory sense such as calling someone a wimp. I've always seen these associations as being childish, similar to the phrase "you throw like a girl.", or other ways men insult each others masculinity. Despite being of childish nature, associations like this will continue until men are not associated with masculinity and women are not associated with femininity.

Purely from a waste and resources perspective toilets use about 2.5 gallons of potable water per flush whereas urinals use less than 1 (and some use none).

so from a waste perspective it would be wasteful to remove urinals, maybe women should use urinals too (this is more possible than you might think). the psychological associations are going to be made about men being masculine and women being feminine regardless of what changes are made to the bathroom

Yes, I heard about the trying to ban of urinals. I'm not for it. Urinals are quality to have in men's restrooms for their comfort. It can be simply much rapid, easier, and cleaner than having to move and use a stall. If they are interested by labeling a distinct quantity of stall bathrooms for stand-up urination only, then they will have to rather just maintain urinals. It is less difficult to pee at the same time standing for us men and although It states that men more effectively empty their bladders whilst urinating sitting down, I've never felt that. If I sit down I nonetheless feel the have got to the place I still have got to shake off somewhat before i'm finished. I see a lot of men not liking this in any respect, including me. I am hoping it doesn't occur, i do not rather consider it is going to. It would price loads to take some time to take away urinals, plus they've been round for means too lengthy already. The feminist right here could already need it, and could start pushing for it inside a pair or so years, once they see extra about it over there, however additionally they would possibly not, and i'm now not pondering it will genuinely happen. Additionally, I consider the water usage statements, said with the aid of Richard above.

Based on what I've read on GS and on other Feminist forums, yes - a lot of Feminists from the US, UK, Canada, etc, have been quite appreciative of these silly anti-male measures.

Besides, it's a well-known fact that Feminist organizations in countries like the US, UK, Australia, and a lot of countries in Europe, share lessons learned and "best practices". So I would actually be surprised if any true Feminist actually -opposed- these sexist ideas and measures.

• Orla C

LOL. What a load of nonsense. I have NEVER heard of anyone wanting urinals removed from men's toilets in Europe, and I live in Europe.

Stop attempting to stir up trouble. You're no good at it. Go back to sodomising watermelons or whatever it is you do in your spare time.

Well, they have not spoken out against them yet. Silence is not a good way to show you do not support the negative aspects of your special interest group. Men using urinals does not in any way infringe upon the rights of women.

I've never heard of this so I would guess no. It doesn't seem like it's women or feminists as a group and it doesn't seem like their aim is to actually get rid of urinals.

"A Swedish political party is taking a stand against upright urination.

At a county council meeting Monday, the Left Party, or Vänsterpartiet, tabled a motion that would require office washrooms to be genderless with a sit-down-only requirement, reported the news agency Tidningarnas Telegrambyrå.

For men who might refuse to comply, party representatives suggested a separate set of toilets clearly labeled for stand-up urination only.

Vänsterpartiet, known as a socialist and feminist organization, believes seated urination is healthier for men and more hygienic for both sexes.

Party speakers cited medical research they said shows men empty their bladders more efficiently while seated. Improved bladder evacuation reduces the risk for prostate problems, according to the party. It also helps men who sit rather than stand achieve a longer and healthier sex life, it said.

Viggo Hansen, a substitute council member who authored the motion, told Sveriges Television that that the move does not represent an attempt to meddle in the bathroom habits of citizens.

"That's not what we're doing. We want to give men the option of going into a clean toilet," he said."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2012/06/stop-...

• Thomas

Of course not. This is the first I've heard of Australian and German radicals wanting any part of this. The Swedish radical feminist group that were campaigning for this are a very small, loud radical fringe group of feminists that don't speak for most feminists at all. Not only that, but this is really old news(even this article is from 2000) and isn't something that should be of big concern on the worldwide feminist front. I've never heard any American feminists, radical or otherwise, claim to want this.

• Beer

Feminism is much stronger in the US than in a vast majority of the Western European countries (aside from the Scandinavian countries and the UK), trust me on this.

No, there have not been such attempts.

• Bella

They should def keep the urinals because then men will just pee through the hole on the toilet seat and they won't be fit for sitting on any longer.

BTW who cares what goes on in the men's room, women don't go in there.

I guess they do. If you count on something, it is feminist women standing behind (or on top) of each other.