Cricket Q:In your opinion,what is the best individual performance from a World Cup final?

There have been so many great performances over the years in ODI WC finals but which World Cup final performance from an individual player(either batting bowling or fielding) do you think was absolutely best?.

You can go for finals of T20 WC or Champions Trophy too but this Q is mainly for ODI World Cup in Cricket.

Decent answers,Thanks.

Best Answer

My heart says Ponting in 2003.

My head says ADS in 1996.

The person screaming at the TV 14 years ago says Michael Bevan in a semi final in 1999 v SA.

But to answer your Q, the best performance was Imran Khan in the 1992 final. Wasim Akhram (and to this day I still don't know why) actually got motm that day, but Imran delivered the result. His captaincy, HS of 72 plus tight bowling made the difference that gave Pakistan the world cup.

Current champion India (2nd title)

Most successful Australia (4 titles)

Most runs Sachin Tendulkar (3,278)

Most wickets Glenn McGrath (79)

.

Man of the tournament

.

Year Player Stats

.

1992 Martin Crowe 456 runs

1996 Sanath Jayasuriya 221 runs and 7 wickets

1999 Lance Klusener 281 runs and 17 wickets

2003 Sachin Tendulkar 673 runs and 2 wickets

2007 Glenn Mcgrath 26 wickets

2011 Yuvraj Singh 362 Runs and 15 wickets

Man of the match

Year Player Stats

1975 Clive Lloyd 102 runs

1979 Viv Richards 138 *

1983 Mohinder Amarnath 3/12 and 26

1987 David Boon 75 runs

1992 Wasim Akram 33 and 3/39

1996 Aravinda de Silva 107* and 3/42

1999 Shane Warne 4/33

2003 Ricky Ponting 140

2007 Adam Gilchrist 149

2011 Mahendra Singh Dhoni 91*

Source(s): Dx sucks... Yo...;)
  • T J

I saw mostly the batting heroics & starting with Ponting's decimation of Indian hopes in the 2003 W.C. finals was a great batting performance indeed. Secondly Gilchrist's golf balls enabled innings, which finished off S.L. in 2007 was another class act. Don't know what was the hoopla about a player with big hitting abilities coming good & later revealing his own method to control the bat in his hands.

Having read about Lloyd & Viv Richards centuries in 75 & 79 W.C. finals, it was indeed great and Mahela's century in the losing cause in 2011 was really great, as he seemed to have won the cup for S.L but Gambhir's great innings, with both Sehwag & Tendulkar gone for not too many & then Dhoni's great innings & fab finish is legendary now.

But my choice is Wasim Akram's display in the 1992 W.C. finals, both with bat (I don't remember exactly but he scored some crucial runs) and later with the ball, when he removed Allan Lamb & Chris Lewis, both clean bowled with in-swinging deliveries, gunning for a win for England, off successive balls, was the most memorable bowling performance, otherwise dominated by batsmen in all the finals of W.C. from 1975-2011. His effort with the ball is still worth watching..

I have seen only 1 WC because I didn't know much about cricket and neither knew a little before the first IPL started,so I would vote for Dhoni 2011

I am surprised you had to ask. It is, without a doubt, Ponting's innings in the 2003 World Cup. Those single-handed sixes over mid-wicket still keep ringing in my head. I would say that it is one of the best innings I've even seen in my life, whether in WC or otherwise.

1. Dhoni's 91* against lanka 2011

2. Arvinda desilva's century in 1996

3. Gillchirist's ton in 2007

Aravinda de Silva`s 100 no doubt

it was against world best bowling attack tht had macgrath and warne when sl were 2 for 5...chasing 250...

ponting and gilly played for amazing teams and they had no pressure

Ricky Ponting at 2003 world cup final..

He made many Indians cry that day including me..

without being bias, it was the best

ponting in 2003

jayawardene in 2011

kapil dev in 1983

• LION

None is magnificient than Aravinda De Silva's ton against Australians in 1996 World Cup. He kept his nerves, when Kalu & Sanath fell for cheaply, and don't forget how he thrashed Indians in Kolkata Eden gardens again when Sanath and Kalu fell Cheaply. . .it was undoubtly one of the abrilliant Innings in the World Cup history