Julia
Julia asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 7 years ago

Do you think its "annoying" when people give short & one word answers.....?

and "claim" their 2 points just the same as someone who's put in a good 10 minutes writing a longer, personal reply?

I mean if you wanted simple yes / no answers you'd post in the Entertainment - Polls & Surveys section.

Don't "know" about anyone else, but when you post in the Philosophy section you sort of expect a bit more than yes and no! A bit of an explanation, some "theory" or research to support the answer; a bit of back ground "body" to the reply.

What do you think?

(Yes i realise i have now opened myself up to getting yes and no answers to this questions... but there we go! Lets see!)

@ Forest Rider Mystry... sadly i don't think its JUST restricted to the "youths"... many an adult are as guilty as sin! I HAVE read some really thought provoking "wise" answers and been surprised to then read the "author" is only 16. Some people are "older" and much "wiser" than their years. I have learnt to not let age be a guide to quality of answers. There seems to be an awful lot of half illiterate ADULTS with poor education, nothing useful to say and nothing better to do than TROLL. Some of the "teens" are not to be dismissed on age alone!

I probably didn't word it very well, but obviously if someone asks a question like "Do you agree" or something STUPID it may only need a simple yes or no. so yes, sometimes that is ALL that one needs to write, but if it asks for an opinion, or your point of view, its lazy to write yes or no!

Best Answer

Tutti, I am guilty of giving a one word response on occasion. I do so to keep myself from going nuts on their lame question...you get reported for those kinds of responses. I do know that many people here are just trying to rack up points and if they are that desperate, I say have at it. Please don't fret over these people sweetie. They won't be around long.

Very good point Tutti Frutti,

I know the feeling.

How's Wilfred ?

Good Luck.

Best Wishes.

Mars Mission Soon In A Galaxy Near Yours..

Source(s):

Studies..

Oh yea, you have no idea how much i want to say "no". But i'm not going to say that, i hate the one word responses too. Its nice to ask a question then get a nice long response that shows the person has really thought about the question, and understands what you are saying. Also answers that have nothing to do with the question or when they are extremely rude are annoying.

Yes, I agree with you

It's pretty pathetic but some people answer the question just for the lousy two points

There you are... Lots of 'ordinary' gate-crushers will invade any 'extra-ordinary' forum. The in-depth philosophical engagements you seek are not-only few but far apart. Sadly, that's the way it has been, and will always be.. The real philosophical everyday challenge is to find beauty, pleasure and satisfaction in the unsettling permanence of mediocrity. Only by overseeing and overlooking the lower-hand, does the upper-hand establish itself in the unspoilable peace of eternity.

I think the person is arrogant and does not respect you. I don't like arrogant people.

I do say yes or no when it comes to questions such as: Do you like cheese? I just type No.

Best wishes,

Teddy.

• Bazza

Daft questions tend to illicit short answers. In any case why do you begrudge such behaviour? This site is not compulsory viewing and a 'yes' or 'no' does no harm whatsoever. Maybe you are over sensitive?

• Raja

I have also given one word answers but I always like to write proper reasons supporting my answers and I think I am doing it regularly.

Depends on what the reader expects, doesn't it? Sometimes a yes or a no is all that is given because it's all that is requested.

Sometimes. Maybe.

Occasionally when people overly complicate something simple and make up a list of ten possible choices, a simple yes seems to be the best way to respond.