How to stop dog from eating trash?

My four year old lab keeps going through the trash lately. Yes I feed my dog. Hell even dig in the trash if there's still food in his bowl so I know it's not because I don't feed him. He will also jump on counters and eat food off plates (say if I run into another room to answer a phone). The thing is... show more My four year old lab keeps going through the trash lately. Yes I feed my dog. Hell even dig in the trash if there's still food in his bowl so I know it's not because I don't feed him. He will also jump on counters and eat food off plates (say if I run into another room to answer a phone). The thing is that he KNOWS what he's doing is bad because as soon as he's done or as soon as we catch him he runs into his timeout spot. He knows where his timeout spot is he obeys commands to go there and if he's in trouble and he knows it he will go there before we tell him to. Obviously he's not stupid. I'm just so irritated and frustrated i don't know how to make him stop. I'm not going to place my trash cans in places he can't reach or always make sure I put my food in an unreachable place if my phone rings. That doesn't teach him. WHAT DO I DO ???????
4 answers 4