Samantha asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

How to stop dog from eating trash?

My four year old lab keeps going through the trash lately. Yes I feed my dog. Hell even dig in the trash if there's still food in his bowl so I know it's not because I don't feed him. He will also jump on counters and eat food off plates (say if I run into another room to answer a phone). The thing is that he KNOWS what he's doing is bad because as soon as he's done or as soon as we catch him he runs into his timeout spot. He knows where his timeout spot is he obeys commands to go there and if he's in trouble and he knows it he will go there before we tell him to. Obviously he's not stupid. I'm just so irritated and frustrated i don't know how to make him stop. I'm not going to place my trash cans in places he can't reach or always make sure I put my food in an unreachable place if my phone rings. That doesn't teach him. WHAT DO I DO ???????

Remove dog from trash, or trash from dog - before he ends up on the operating table. Labs are well-known for getting into anything and everything, and by age 4, you should have sorted out all these unacceptable behaviours. I'm afraid that when you have a dog, regardless of trying to force your will on him, you just have to compromise. If you leave food on the counter then in many cases the temptation will be too much. Get into the habit of not leaving food where he can grab it so when the phone rings, somebody comes to the door, whatever, he can't GET to what's up there.

Your dog needs training.

"I'm not going to place my trash cans in places he can't reach or always make sure I put my food in an unreachable place if my phone rings."

Why not? Even placing the trash can in a cupboard say under the sink (this is where mine is) would stop him from going into it. Move some furniture around or something so he can't jump up.

WOW !!! An 70-80 pound Black Lab that can mount a kitchen counter. That I'd like to see because I've yet to see one that can do THAT !!

Get a dustbin with a secure lid and grease the counter top.

Maybe orange peels around it? And maybe a stronger bin? I don't know, sorry