Abbey asked in PetsFish · 7 years ago

How many tropical fish can you put in a 55 gallon tank.?

I just recently turned my 55 gallon tank into a tropical freshwater tank! Right now I have about 13(not counting the 5 babies I saved from death) with a mix of guppies and platys.. My question is what would be the max amount of fish I can have in this tank?

Favorite Answer

Hi there,

It depends on the size of fish you want to house in a 55 gallon tank. Fish come in various sizes,

You can house upto 25 to 30 pairs of just guppies, mollies, tertras, Danios, Angel fish, Dwarf

Gourami's Cichlids like Ram's, platties, Rasboras, You can mix most of these fish and have a

colorful looking aquarium. With good lighting and some tropical freshwater plants, you got yourself

one of the best tropical aquarium. For people to admire your aquarium the trick lies with keeping the

water crystal clear. Live plants do a lot of waste removal. They are real natural filters.

If you say you want to house some larger species in your tank,

Then probably you can at most fit 5 fish and should be all of the same temperament.

1. Fresh water Sharks,

2, Tiger Barbs

3, Black Ghost Knife fish

4. Cichlids

5. Oscars

6. Discuss fish

7. Giant Gourami's

8. Green Terrors

So enjoy choosing your fish and make a good freshwater aquarium :)

Source(s): Aquarium Hobby

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): tropical fish put 55 gallon tank: https://tr.im/skqIK

It depends on size, sure, but if you're going for fish similar to the guppies/platies you already have then a few dozen or so. For example you could add a small group of ~6 cories to cruise the bottom and maybe a dozen of something else to fill in the middle. Tetras or danios or something small and active. Also be aware that if you have pairs of guppies and/or platies their numbers are sure to rise on their own.

It depends on the species of fish, mainly. Also, filtration.

my usual answer is "depends on if you use a blender"

this is to point out that the question has no answer, it depends, obviously, on the type of fish chosen.