Will we eventually have the ability to transfer our DVD collections to a "file" format?

Once corporations decide to force us to their latest format, by making DVD and BluRay players unavailable, will we be able to preserve our DVD collections, or will their copy protection render DVD's obsolete?

AVDaddy.....that is the most childish answer I have ever seen on Yahoo Answers.....and that is hard thing to accomplish.

Favorite Answer

Interesting question - perhaps too complex for this site but I will jump in...

I disagree that they are going to "force us" to their latest format. BluRay has been around for years - but every movie that comes out is also available on DVD. The only format I have seen that has disappeared is VHS/Beta tape systems. (And good riddance because they are sub-standard-def quality and the machines are expensive and complex compared to a disk drive.)

In truth - Hollywood HATES having to make all the different flavors of DVD, then BluRay, then 5 separate audio tracks on each movie (ProLogic, DD5.1, DTS, DTS-HD, ...etc). Each variation cost them more and Hollywood is cheap - real cheap. (I live in LA and have friends who work in the business).

By Copyright law - you have the right to make 1 backup copy of your media for archival purposes. Many people I know do use software to 'rip' their media library to a hard drive so they can point-and-click through a media server to watch their movies.

The 'illegality' comes in when you then decide to sell your old disks or give them to a friend - but keep your file-copy. You have just pirated a movie.

I used to be very ... self-righteous about pirating movies and would condemn people who tried to rip off hollywood.

Then I discovered that there has been a special tax in place since the 80's on audio tapes, VHS tapes, blank CD's, DVD's and BluRay disks. Hollywood got Congress to impose this tax to offset their perceived losses due to piracy.

Hollywood gets MILLIONS of dollars of tax money each year - from people who buy blank media.

After I learned this - I'm less 'preachy' about piracy.

All tapes incorporate that warning to by no ability EVER reproduction in any variety. So definite, it quite is against the regulation yet puzzling to enforce except you're making quite a few copies to sell or otherwise distribute.

Legally, no. Not until the DMCA is thrown out or amended to allow it.

But people do and have been making backups for years. The movie producers don't like it, but I think it just sort of gets frowned upon because they're still getting their royalties.

Look up AnyDVD and MakeMKV. Both are free programs that will do this.

What a cute question. Run along, the adults are talking out here.

Fortunately, I couldn't care less what naive children think of me. We already have the ability to transfer our DVD collections to a "file" format. Where have you been the last 5 years?