Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in TravelUnited StatesLos Angeles · 8 years ago

Where should I stay in Los Angeles?

I'm not really into museums and stuff.

But I really wanna go to: Hollywood to see the Walk Of Fame. and probably Universal Studios.

We're mostly into shopping. We will be taking a city tour so we won't have to worry about going to the tourists places one by one. Seeing that that's gonna cost a lot too.

We are two 19 years old girls and we don't have a car. I was looking at car rentals that lets people under 21 rent their cars but it is really too expensive. So we're gonna have to go by taxi. But I wanna stay at a neighborhood that there's plenty of stores so we can shop, and restaurants so we can eat. So we will only have to pay alot of money on taxi to go to Universal Studios and Hollywood. Can we do this by public transportation though? bus?

Also, is the fashion district good for shopping?

thanks.

Favorite Answer

Taxis in Los Angeles are very expensive. You are going to want to take public transportation as much as possible, so plan where to stay based on where good public transportation is.

- Universal Studios and Hollywood are easily accessible by public transportation.

- But staying in one neighborhood that has shops and restaurants is going to mean you are missing out of the entire feel of Los Angeles.

Los Angeles is different than any other city you have ever visited = for example - you can be 13 miles outside of New York city in you will have vacant land and such around you. I think most people would call this the suburbs. California is populated from the San Diego border to just north of Santa Barbara = this is over 200 miles north to south. It's another 60-70 miles inland.

There is no tour bus that takes you to everything. The tour buses go through Hollywood and the Westside of LA, that's all.

- if the tourist place is not on the route you won't even know it exists.

Is the fashion district good for shopping? The fashion district is right next to the garment district. These are two different places that touch. The garment district is very inexpensive, cheaply made close. Like what you can purchase at Walmart only worse.

- The Fashion District is where "the fashion" happens. Some places are open to the public and most are not. Sometimes you will find unique pieces but usually it's exactly what you can purchase and for the same price. But 2 weeks ago I was at a showroom and got a dress that is either a prototype or hasn't been released yet, because I can't find it anywhere online.

- The Fashion District is not going to be "fashionable". It's bare bones. Office space kind of stuff.

Many hotels you have to be 21 to check in, so read the fine print before making your reservations. Hilton hotels as a group allow people under 21 to check in. Although the individual hotels can have different requirements.

- to check in you are going to need at any hotel, you are going to need a CREDIT card not a debit card. You can pay with the debit card or cash, but you have to have the credit card or about $1000 a night security deposit.

I used to live in downey. it's a nice little city. I moved to San diego in january.

anyways, you can find a regular hotel at a reasonable price and you can take the bus and the subway to hollywood. (it takes about an hour and a half to 2 hours max. with public transportation. 20 minutes by car max)

there's a normal mall in Downey. Stonewood mall and if you want to explore you can look up how to get to other malls more "down- town LA- ish" on the metro (that's what they call the subway) if you get hungry there's all kinds of food all around that little city. and you can get around extremely easy walking to get food or other places on the bus monday - friday because Saturdays and sundays are a pain in the behind because buses don't run as often. if you visit Beverly hills, the shopping district, Rodeo. it is SUPER EXPENSIVE! out of your budget!

it takes about an hour and a half to get to the walk of fame. you just take the bus to the green train, the green to the red train and it will take you straight there. universal studios is just 1 or 2 stops away from the walk, but you will have to walk up a steep hill about 15 mins or take the little shuttle (for free but it stops running at night) from the subway to the entrance to Universal.

i used to go walk around on my days off at the city walk. (outdoor mall outside universal, which has thematic restaurants) on public transport because i don't have a car.

and i'm talking a couple months ago before i moved. not like this was 20 years ago.

by the way, in january before i moved i wanted to do something i had never done while living in LA so i went to hollywood and took a tour for about 40 dollars and it lasted about 3 hours, so not bad at all.

hope i was some help.

have fun! :D

if you got any questions feel free to send me a message. i think my settings will let you.

You could stay in Hollywood and then take the subway over to Universal Studios, that or stay in Studio City area and take the subway over to Hollywood. That way you'd save money on taxis - that can get expensive.

Source(s): www.letsvamoose.com

I'm sorry ladies but-----

Hotels have age requirements. You must be 21 years old in order to check in a hotel.

You must have an adult accompanying you, who will check into the hotel, if you're younger than 21.

You must also present photo ID (passport or driver's license) and a valid credit card issued in your name at check in.

You should re-think your plans and include an older relative. Perhaps one of your parents, a grandparent, an aunt or uncle could accompany you.

To answer your questions:

You could stay in the Loew's Hollywood Hotel (if you were 21) which is adjacent to the massive Hollywood and Highland shopping/entertainment complex. There's a Metro station on the lower level of Hollywood and Highland so you could easily take the Red Line to Universal.

http://www.loewshotels.com/Hollywood-Hotel

http://hollywoodandhighland.com/

You could also take the Metro into downtown where you could shop in the L.A. Fashion District which is 100 blocks of high-end clothing at discount prices.

http://www.fashiondistrict.org/

While there you could go to Santee Alley which is 150 stores of knock-offs and copies of high-end items.

http://www.thesanteealley.com/

Just re-make your plans and invite a parent to accompany you....you can't do this otherwise.

• Erika

I've stayed at the la resorts listed below. They're all budget-friendly and worth testing: - The historical Mayfair lodge (downtown LA) - Hacienda motel at LAX - Radisson LA Westside motel - The Hollywood inn - The Wilshire resort - The Westin los angeles Airport