?
? asked in SportsFootball (American) · 8 years ago

Thoughts on Aaron Rodgers becoming highest paid player in NFL history?

It's apparently $110 million over 5 years keeping him in Green Bay until 2019. $40 million guaranteed in the first year and a little over $62 million in the first three years

I didn't expect him to take less and I'm almost positive the Packers didn't ask him to take a lesser deal. It's just how they seem to operate. Build through the draft and have inexpensive talent, then pay the teams stars once they've gotten to the point. I just want to see how much he'll make every year

His cap number never gets above $21 million over the 7 years apparently

@DK, you cant really compare Brady's deal to Rodgers. Football wise, Brady is at the tail end of his career while Rodgers is in his prime. Also, the Packers dont get very involved in free agency. They build through the draft and pay their own stars, they dont look for others. Would you call Brady a disgrace if he took a deal like this? You cant compare every thing every quarterback does to your golden boy, come on. You bring him all the time, even when he has nothing to do with the question. Lastly, I guess only Brady is allowed to get angry at others while during a game.

• DB-C
    Favorite Answer

I like this deal, I like this deal a lot, the Packers got a great deal. Lower Cap number than Flacco, for a QB that actually is the best in the league.

I'm pretty sure his free market price would have been higher, probably close to the 30M per season, the Packers received a great deal.

@DK - Rodgers is still making his money, Brady already has enough that he can afford not to take the greatest deal, also Rodgers doesn't have a wife that makes more money than he does, and why would you be mad at him for taking the money, you should be mad at Brady for NOT taking the money, he is destroying the competitiveness of the league, if everybody did like him it would end up like the NBA, where great players go to the same few teams, and live of sponsor revenue that are higher than their contracts either way.

@DK - As you are a Patriot fan I see why you like Brady taking less, but for the league it is bad, the Packers won't lose because of his contract, it is supply and demand, the demand is there because he makes your team better by the amount that they pay him, that is how economy works.

I don't want you or anyone to get mad ... .. but ... The Super Bowl winning passer averages 1.1 something interceptions for every 2 touchdowns and that ain't really good for a highest paid quarterback in NFL history ... (Flacco has started all 93 regular and postseason games the Ravens have played since 2008, passing for 17,633 yards with 102 touchdowns and 56 interceptions.) He did great in the 2012 playoffs (1,140 yards with 11 touchdowns and zero interceptions) Maybe he can play like this during the season (probably not) and actually earn the money they just blew ... Here are a few comments on Yahoo by a few Yahoos who are a little perplexed on this here contract thingy ... HAHAHA, Flacco the highest paid QB. Not gonna hate, but that's funny. I think it is a big mistake. Joe is not an elite QB because of his accuracy. Sure Joe is a good QB but not worth Brees or Rodgers type of money. Since his contract is coming up it made Aaron Rodgers' day !! Does this mean Ravens tix and beer prices will go higher? Hope the Lions get some of the Ravens free agents, cuz they can't afford them. Nice move Dumb #$%$ He was paid a little too high. True he did win the Super Bowl, but he is still not an elite quarterback. I can understand it a little bit but making him the highest paid over guys like Brees or Rodgers is a bit crazy. Joe's good, but he's not that good. The Ravens will regret spending this much. ----- It's all good ... I hope he has a better season next year cause if he doesn't someones head will roll in Baltimore :)

• ?

Overprioced. He's a great QB but not worth the average of $22 million a season. With the salary cap about $125 million, a team can't have a fifth of the payroll going to one player. It seems like every week in the NFL a player is getting a record deal. I don't buy into the hype because in a few years Rodgers will be restructuring his deal just like Flacco and other reciepients of mega deals will be.

I believe he should be paid more than Joe Flacco, but they all are being paid way too much. $20 million a year, come on man . Seriously, the amount of money all professional athletes are being paid is ridiculous, even mediocre athletes, especially in baseball, are getting multimillions per year.

There have been so many athletes made multimillionaires in the last 20 years, and when considering all the future multimillionaire athletes, that are slowly increasing the cost of living for the rest of us that work for a living, and increasing the gap between rich and poor. Why don't athletes also suffer when the economy is down ?

Rodgers is much more deserving of his money than Flacco is, but I wish Rodgers would have taken less money to stay at Green Bay. That's gonna be a payroll killer in the future just like Flacco's

• blind

He's a top 3 qb right now, so I guess he deserves the cash. He's not the best qb in the league though, imo.

And yes, qbs like Rogers are the ones you pay the kind of money he got, instead of Flacco.

Wow I've just lost all of the little respect that I've had for Aaron Rodgers. Look at Tom Brady last year he got 950,000 dollars a year for his base salary. And now he restructured his deal for 5 years so he'll be only getting paid 6.4 million dollars next year. He's a class act and that's why people like Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Joe Flacco, and Aaron Rodgers will never be as good as him all they care about is money Brady cares about winning more then about that. He cares about his teammates first and then himself. It's how a Quarterback should treat himself but I guess Rodgers wouldn't know that considering he's not a leader yelling at Finley for Rodgers own mistakes.

Welker had more then twice as many drops as Finley last year but do you see Brady yelling at welker no not at all! When welker blows the super bowl does Brady yell at him? No not at all. Rodgers needs to learn a thing from Brady and I'm surprised after hearing Rodgers call Brady the best QB in the game I guess he's not paying close enough attention.

Aaron Rodgers= Disgrace

@D-BC Yeah but when this deal kicks in the Packers will be missing the playoffs all because of rodgers. Aaron Rodgers has made already about 40 million dollars. That can last you for the rest of your life no doubt. Rodgers just wants the money because he needs something to remind him that he's great. He's shallow let's admit it. All Brady wants to do is win. People already know he's the best of all time it's set in stone 17 playoff wins (NFL record) He just wants another ring and I think he'll get 5 more by the time he retires.

@Abby You bring up good points but Brady didn't restructure his deal because he's on the end of his career in fact just last year he said he was going to play for 10 more years. He just barley hit his half way point. Brady would never take a deal like this that's why I have so much respect for him if he did I wouldn't be as big of a fan as him he would just be another Peyton Manning, but that's what makes Brady different he's a team player. And Brady doesn't yell at his players but if a no name offensive coordinator who Brady makes look good yells at Brady saying that was the worst throw he's ever seen in his life to a HOF QB would you stand there and be like yeah your right when it was a good throw. He had the right to get pissed What has Bill O Brien done before the patriots, absolutely nothing.

@DB-C I realize where your coming from and I think players do deserve to get big contracts but not like this. Rodgers should be getting paid 16 million a year tops. He could of asked for less money but he didn't because he's greedy.

@Chalise Nah lol I don't hate him as a person just a player.

• CT77

He is worth every penny! The best QB in the league deserves to be paid like that.

So worth it His almost undifeated season he only through like 7 interceptions. That's Sanchez average per game

• ?

He deserves it hands down the best Qb in the NFL.

DK: lMAOOOO!! You know you need to stop it!! I see you're a Rodgers hater! :)