matt
matt asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 7 years ago

Standard pressure .45 acp vs +P in 230 gr JHP?

Apologies if this has been beaten to death. I have a Ruger Commander 1911 4.5" bbl. The owners manual said nothing against the use of +P ammo but I'm wondering if it's necessary. Would +P be of any added benefit in a defensive situation compared to its standard pressure counterpart.

Favorite Answer

Although practically, I'm not an expert like the others who answered, I'll tell you this:

.45 ACP 230 gr JHP rounds, like the Federal Hydra-Shok, Federal HST, Ranger-T, Remington Golden Saber, and Speer Gold Dot...all those .45 ACP 230 gr JHP rounds shall fully expand and shall penetrate 12-14 inches of 10% ballistic gel (when fired from your 4.5'' barrel pistol); which is quite enough; according to FBI and IWBA standards. The FBI standards suggest at least 12 inches of 10% ballistic gel penetration, but no more than 18 inches of penetration. The IWBA standards suggest at least 12.5 inches of 10% ballistic gel penetration, but no more than 14 inches of penetration.

The +P rounds shall give you more penetration; that is only wanted, if your 230 gr JHP round was fired from a short barrel (3-3.8'') semi-auto-pistol. From these short barrels, the +P rounds are sure to fully expand.

IMHO, if your Ruger Commander is quite new, it shall fire +P rounds without a problem. The Ruger SR45 is known to handle +P rounds well. Also the other Ruger .45 ACP pistols; like the Ruger P's shall handle the +P rounds very well, as do the Glock 21, XD-45, and the newer Colt M1911s.

In short, the +P rounds are clearly better in short-barreled new semi-auto pistols. They're also good in pistols with longer barrels because they'll cause deeper penetration, and they'll also decrease the probability of malfunction by means of cycling for the next round. The +P rounds may penetrate a further 1-1.5'' in 10% ballistic gel.

Here's a .45 ACP 230 gr +P JHP round that, when fired from a 4.4'' barrel pistol, expanded to 0.625'', and penetrated over 19'' of 10% ballistic gel PLUS 4 layers of denim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLxKyyNDBp8

Youtube thumbnail

Also, enjoy these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWW2Y-IZpyE

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HRtfkXFbmY

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwcTEtEmiZo

Youtube thumbnail

Source(s): Watched countless videos, and read many many statistics regarding the .45 ACP 230 gr JHP's.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): standard pressure 45 acp 230 gr jhp: https://tr.im/H7HaF
  • Jeff

If there is any definitive, scientific basis for +P in any caliber - I'd like to see it.

45 ACP built around any modern, hollow pointed projectile will stop a fight. Your ability to acess, shoot, move and reload if needed is a much more valid concern... and certainly more important that a few extra FPS when comparing any +P to a standard pressure cartridge

Mindset, skill set, gear set... in that order. Period.

(edited for Toad)... if all I had was 230 grain 45cal FMJ it would be the only FMJ load I'd use as a self defensive cartridge and expect results from or keep a good concience over. Federal and the other companies produce some pretty well tested hollow points I'd pick over FMJ these days if it's legal to buy or use such things under department policies or local restrictions.

Additional edit for Toad... agreed. One reason I still find myself wearing a 45 cal pistol is simply because it's a "45".... expansion or not... a bullet "failure" still gets a .45 hole on entrance compared to a .35" hole from a "failed" 9x19.

• C T M

For 45ACP you want 230gr FMJ not JHP, the 45ACP doesn't have a high enough velocity to expand a JHP reliably, and "if" it does expand it stops penetrating, you need penetration. Use standard 230gr FMJ ammo, it has been killing bad guys and enemy soldiers of the USA for over 100 years. That is a PROVEN track record.

Edit, I know the ammo you speak of Jeff, and I'm still not convinced of it's ability to penetrate effectively to the vitals. I'm not saying I'm an expert on this subject, far from it actually, but I do know for a fact that 45ACP 230 hardball is going to reach the vitals, no question about it. I have questions about 45ACP JHP, and when I have doubt my mindset (see confidence here) is lower. Granted, one in the brainpan is going to stop and drop the BG, regardless if it's JHP or FMJ, but still.....I'll stick with proven FMJ in my 45's.

• cazeau

Federal Hst 45 P

• Bill

Since you specified use in a defensive situation, I would argue that +P ammunition would only exacerbate the potential for over-penetration. Standard 230 grain JHP ammunition would be quite adequate for the use you have in mind.