Do you think that the American FDA should follow the lead of the EMA (European Medicines Agency?

How many times have you heard about the harmful side effects of prescription medication? How may times have you seen TV Commercials from attorneys asking you to contact them if you, or someone you know, has had an adverse effect from a specific medication? The truth is that most pharmaceutical companies will... show more How many times have you heard about the harmful side effects of prescription medication? How may times have you seen TV Commercials from attorneys asking you to contact them if you, or someone you know, has had an adverse effect from a specific medication?

The truth is that most pharmaceutical companies will only share results of positive studies for their projects and hide any studies which show less than ideal results for the drug. If you want more proof of this, you might want to read the book, Bad Pharma: How drug companies mislead doctors and harm patients by Dr.Ben Goldacre. http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Pharma-compani... reveals all sorts of tricks that they use. You can also Google, Side Effects of Aspertame, Side effects of BPA (this is a something that is found in almost all water bottles you buy at the store, cans of beans and other foods.

The European "FDA" or European Medicines Agency (EMA) is in the process of opening its drug industry's research to independent researchers so they can test company claims and expose product deficiencies. This will bring long sought after transparency to Big Pharma's research and claims made on their behalf. Both the FDA and EMA have had severely tarnished integrity because of scandals such as with Vioxx and Avandia.

Do you think that it is time that the FDA also allow for independent researchers to evaluate all medications so that the truth can be known before the damage is done to us?

SIDE NOTE: I do not know Dr. Goldacre and I do not receive any money or benefits for recommending his book. I just feel that the FDA has pledged their allegiance to the major pharmaceuticals instead of the public well being.
Update: @ Zwise: I could not agree with you more. Unfortunately, I think that the Pharmaceutical controlled puppet we call the FDA really needs to be embarrassed a lot more before the president or congress would consider privatization of it.. I also feel that much stricter guidelines need to be adopted for the... show more @ Zwise: I could not agree with you more. Unfortunately, I think that the Pharmaceutical controlled puppet we call the FDA really needs to be embarrassed a lot more before the president or congress would consider privatization of it.. I also feel that much stricter guidelines need to be adopted for the "organic" label as too many unhealthy products are calling themselves "organic".
1 answer 1